Sean Kamperman: Upholding Social Service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Phi Sigma Pi is a co-ed National Honors Fraternity, and here at Clemson there are around 150 members on average with new members joining every semester! To learn some more about PSP we talked to the President of the fraternity, Sean Kamperman.

Name: Sean Kamperman

Major: Bioengineering

Year: Senior (May 2017)

Organization: Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity

Position: President

What made you want to join?

A couple of friends from high school had joined the year before, and they loved the people they’d met and all the things they’d gotten to do. By second semester of my freshman year, I was ready to get more actively involved on campus, so PSP seemed like a good fit.

What’s your favorite thing about it?

I love soooo many things about it, but the people I’ve met are by far the consistent winners. Every semester we welcome a brand new bunch of humans that share our goals, and it’s always fun connecting with people you probably wouldn’t have met under other circumstances. So many strong friendships are made in PSP.

Do you have any particular favorite memories?

Highway cleanups are obviously ALWAYS a blast, and I love picking up trash, but one of my favorites involved a few of us singing random songs as we cleaned. My friends Kayla and Sarah started singing “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus, and through a series of ridiculous events, the three of us plus a guitarist ended up doing an acoustic performance of “The Climb” at an open-mic night. It was fantastic, and even though we got too into it at one point and the microphones screeched like nails on a chalkboard, I think we were a hit.

Why is PSP unique?

We aren’t exclusive in any way, really. Our membership isn’t limited to specific majors or genders, and like to think we value diversity in perspective as well as identity. Our brotherhood is centered on ideals aimed to uphold a devotion to social service, which gives us a very specific aim that can be broadly interpreted and acted upon. It’s great.

If you’re interested in learning more about PSP and how you can join, contact psp@g.clemson.edu! Happy Greek Week <3

I am a Psychology major. I was Maryland born and raised. I love soccer, the beach, and making Her Campus part of my Clemson story!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19