This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

All in, all the time!

Every college has different norms and expectations about when to live on and off campus. Though for the most part, it’s typical that students move off campus after their first or second year. There are lots of reasons why college students choose to live where they do, but there are definitely immense benefits to staying close to your college or university.

I’m a junior still living on-campus at Clemson University. Here are some reasons why I absolutely love it, and why you should too!

Strolling out of bed at 7:50 for that 8 A.M. class

Your friends who have to wake up at 6:15 and take a crowded bus are SHOOK. A commute? What’s that?

Easy access to when you need to grab your umbrella or an extra coat

Weather has no sympathy. You’ll always be a short jog away from your building when you need to slip on those rain-boots.

You can attend more nighttime events

Meetings, speakers, concerts, and even free food events are mostly held in the evenings on campus. Being nearby lets you hear about these more often and you’ll have an easier time getting there!

In between class nap sessions

You have an hour to spare before your next class? Yup, back to bed.

You’re the first one to know about campus happenings

The dining hall is having taco night? There’s a protest by the administration building? The University President is having a meet and greet? Be there in five! You’ll also be among the first to confirm or deny campus rumors.

Having access to resources and amenities

Living on-campus is basically an all-inclusive. The dining hall is next door. The gym is right around the corner. Whether it’s the library, printers, restaurants, mailroom, or academic success center, the campus has everything. Not to mention your Resident Assistant and housing staff are great resources to go to for anything!

Constantly taking in the beauty of campus

You chose your campus for a reason! You can fully enjoy it by spending the day walking to and from your classes, residence hall, and between all your other day-to-day stops.

Different living styles

Come on, you have to admit having a roommate is a necessary part of college! It’s a learning experience for sure. Yet, most colleges have an array of living arrangement options to choose from! You can pick what area of campus to live in and your housing style: apartment, suite-style, or traditional community residence. Your preferences are taken into account and there’s something for everyone.

Making best friends and close connections

You’ll be living in an intentional community, with many different people and opportunities to make connections. This will be a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet a lot of new friends and acquaintances!

Always feeling connected to the college community

Saving the best for last, when living on-campus you’re truly living where your life is and that’s the easiest and most valuable way to take full advantage of your college experience!

Hey! I'm Juliana Baumann. I'm a Women's Leadership and Psychology student at Clemson University. I stay active at Clemson through my position as a UPIC Intern, and my involvement in campus organizations such as Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, She's a 10, and Her Campus! When I'm not running around from meeting to meeting, you can find me traveling within the US and around the world!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19