etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The New Year’s Resolution You Should AVOID This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

We are officially ending another year (and decade!) and beginning another chapter in our lives. As you ring in the New Year and begin thinking about your resolution, please avoid these words:

“I am going to lose weight this year.”

No, you are not! I am shutting down this pointless resolution for the year 2020 (and every year after that!). This resolution leads to nothing but disappointment and self-hatred. I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve made this exact resolution every year since 2016, but 2020 is going to be different for all of us. No more endless cardio and no more diets!

I struggled for years with body image and accepting that my weight isn’t meant to drop below a certain range. Over time, I learned that there is no point in obsessing over a number that means absolutely nothing. Weight doesn’t determine beauty, worth, or even overall health.

If you want to lose weight for actual health benefits and not the pressures of society, make a resolution with a clear, attainable goal. Instead of worrying about the scale, try thinking of something you can enjoy that will also benefit your health.

“I’m going to start lifting weights to become stronger!”

“I’m going to train for my first 5K!”

“I’m going to incorporate vegetables into all of my meals!” (Veggie omelets rock!)

“I’m going to be more active by doing things I enjoy!”

These are all resolutions that will benefit your health and are obtainable. Not everyone can lose ten pounds because not everyone has ten pounds to lose! All of our bodies are designed for a certain weight to stay healthy and function properly. Making a resolution to benefit your health is totally ok, but trying to morph your body into an unhealthy shape is not. With resolutions like the ones above, you can actually see results if you work hard! You’ll notice yourself getting stronger or faster. That is so much more rewarding than starving yourself just to see the number go down.

And guess what…If you don’t want to work out or eat vegetables at every meal, you don’t have to! If you are happy with your body and health, then don’t. Make a resolution you will enjoy. (Or don’t make one at all.)

Don’t let society pressure you into starting your year off with restriction and unhappiness. Make 2020 a year of self-love and not self-hate.

Sara is a Communication major studying at Clemson University. She loves writing and reporting on all topics, but favors writing on wellness and lifestyle. When she isn't writing (or doing homework) she loves going to the gym, listening to music, and watching movies with friends. Follow her on instagram @sara.ciply
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).