This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

This year is the perfect time to write to your senators about things you’re passionate about! It’s always great to make your voice heard, even if you don’t think it will have an impact. With all the new controversial legislation the Trump administration is proposing and trying to pass, it’s very important to get involved! Your opinions matter!

We can make a difference! I believe the biggest hindrance in world improvement is people thinking they can’t make a difference. Too many use that as an excuse to avoid changing their lifestyles for the betterment of society and the environment. One change goes a long way, start small, and who knows, you may start a chain reaction and inspire others to better themselves as well. One woman (or man) can change the world.

Below is a letter I have sent to several of my senators. If these are issues you’re passionate about, please feel free to copy and paste it and send it to your senators! I have also attached links to the South Carolina senators contact pages. Find them here and here

Hello Mr. Senator,

My name is Devin Orr and as a Clemson student majoring in Environment and Natural Resources, and as a Clemson EcoRep, I feel that is my duty to make my concerns heard about the actions of the Trump administration and the EPA regarding the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the proposed shrinking of beloved national monuments. Not only do these actions go against the US Constitution, infringing on the rights of the natives in those areas and the rights that protect the largest wildlife refuges left in America, but also against the US Antiquities Act of 1906, Clean Energy Act, and the wishes of many Americans. Fracking is a very dangerous method  used to obtain oil and natural gas deep below the surface of the ground. It involves pressurized water pushing the fossil fuels to the surface, creating a network of cracks that can make the area more susceptible to earthquakes as well as allowing many pollutants to enter the water sources. People in turn are left with the escalated possibility of life threatening earthquakes, flammable and unclean water, and many other risks to their health.

Oil and natural gas should be a dying industry with the current state of the environment. To allow drilling and fracking in the Arctic National Wildlife refuges and other regions is to allow extinction of many key species, pollution of water and air, an array of public health concerns, risk of fires and earthquakes, and a move away from renewable and clean energy. The only valid argument for fracking is the increase in jobs. However, millions of jobs can be created if clean energy becomes more prominent and widely used.

I would also like to address the net neutrality killing plan devised by Chairman Pai. Net neutrality is a major upholder of our First Amendment Rights: freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion and freedom to petition. Allowing major companies to have complete control over what we see and what applications and websites even survive, is a total violation of our rights as citizens of the United States of America. It goes against everything America stands for and I am writing you to ask that you please vote against this bill.

I also hope you will take my previous statements regarding the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the shrinking of national monuments into consideration and vote against bills that threaten them in the future.

Thank you,

Devin Orr

Devin Orr

Clemson '21

My name is Devin Orr and I am a junior at Clemson University. I currently work for Clemson Study Abroad and I am interning with the Water Resource Center. My major is Environmental and Natural Resources and minor is Sustainability. It took me awhile to land on a major I'm passionate about, but I finally have and I hope my articles inspire you to do the same! 
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19