nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Lessons from a Coffee Shop: What I Learned While Working as a Barista

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Big tippers are the best kind of people

There’s no better feeling than watching a sacred, gleaming $5, $10 or the occasional life-altering $20 bill slip from a generous customer’s hand into the dusty and desperate mason jar labeled “TIPS” in peeling colored paper. With many of us making minimum wage, the addition of tips makes a huge difference at the end of the day. A sense of understanding and empathy is achieved when someone tips well and it sometimes takes a significant amount of self-restraint to keep from leaping over the counter and hugging the customer while tears of gratitude stream down your exhausted face.

Latte making is an art

Believe me, it isn’t easy. I had no idea how difficult it was to create “good” steamed milk and pair it with a “perfect” pour. Forget about those insta-worthy milk flower designs that everyone hopes to see in their mug; my average latte looks more like a disheveled swirl of foamy milk and brown espresso. Nothing artsy about that but, hey, as long as it tastes good right?

Don’t take anything personally

People are rude. So rude. They bring in their bad days and lug around their “moods” and aren’t aware of how their words and actions affect the people they interact with. I’ve noticed many people treat me as somewhat “less” of a person when I’m behind the counter taking their order as opposed to if I was, perhaps, in line with them or passing them on the street. There’s an element of dehumanization and it’s a hard concept to accept. However, with time, the right mindset and a positive attitude, you’ll come to realize you’re just as much of a human being as everyone else, even if an insolent customer isn’t treating you as one.

Chill Out

When things are busy, things are real busy. On days where the line seems to be never ending and you simply can’t catch a break, it’s important to remain grounded and in touch with your inner self. Finding a peaceful mindset in times of extreme stress is a valuable skill and can get you through the most mentally draining, brain fogging and physically exhausting rushes. Focus on your tasks and don’t let the craziness get the best of you.

People are so cool

Sometimes on a quiet Sunday night an old man will come in, order a medium hot black, pay for his order, lean in towards the register and point to a painting hanging on the wall above the espresso machine. An hour later, you’ll know his entire life story and feel like a whole new person yourself. Enlightenment happens through the people we meet. Cherish every relationship you have and strive to learn as much as you can about the people in your life. That old man was pretty dope.

Coworkers are cool too

Whether it be complaining about the grueling work of the day, a pesky customer, your bossy manager or the broken smoothie machine, your coworkers are perfect for venting to about your #struggles. Most of the time they can absolutely #relate. You develop bonds through enduring long hard shifts together and can always count on them to make the day a little more fun and entertaining. We had endless inside jokes and secret nicknames for our regular and frequent customers like “Mocha Joe”, “Grumpy Grandma” and “The Squad” in referral to the same group of tweens who came in every single day after school (ordering strawberry vanilla frappes every time without fail).

Customer Service is the hardest but most important job you will ever have

The amount I learned working at this small, bustling coffee shop is indescribable. I grew so much as a person and emerged a much more mature, informed, cultured, strong, resilient and all around “better” version of myself. It’s hard to believe when you’re going through it, but I promise you, and you must promise yourself, that hard work really does pay off.

Rebecca is originally from Massachusetts and is currently a sophomore at Clemson University double majoring in English and Secondary Education. She is a lover of the beach, breakfast, traveling, her awesome family and friends, working out, great books, Clemson football and classic rock.
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19