How To Survive and Thrive Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Welcome class of 2021 to Tigertown! During your freshman year there are going to be a lot of ups and downs, especially during your first semester. Here are some go-to tips to help you survive and thrive this year:

1. Lock your door when you leave your room

While this may seem really obvious, it not only ensures your safety but it also gives you more privacy. You’ll be happy when you’re in class and you aren’t getting Snapchats of your friends in your room eating your food (trust me, I’ve been there).

2. Use your free HBO Go and Philo accounts

Part of living on campus means that you get free access to HBO Go and Philo (basically an online DVR), just use your student ID. You’ll be thankful that you can binge watch Game of Thrones instead of paying for Netflix.

https://play.hbogo.com

http://clemson.philo.com

3.  Use the my.Clemson App

If you haven’t already you should download the app onto your phone. It gives you bus routes, a map of campus, directions, and location services so you can see where you are and how to get where you need to be. This is a lifesaver during those first few weeks of classes when the campus seems like a maze.

4. Exercise and eat well

Coming from experience, the cookies at Clemson look AMAZING and taste even better but be careful about how many times you raid the dessert bar. The freshman 15 is real. Make sure you’re going to Fike and balancing your diet and exercise. It’ll not only make you feel better physically, but it’ll make you feel better mentally as well. If you want to sign up for a group fitness class at Fike, just use this link: http://www.imleagues.com/spa/fitness/3544ec74b64a4fc2ae5e3e008c380f87/home

5. Meet people in your major

Getting to know people in your classes, and especially people in more than one of your classes, is a great resource to have. This way you can ask questions about assignments, remind each other about due dates, and have a study partner to share your load with.

6. Decorate your dorm room

Even though you’ll only be there for the year it is important to feel like your room is home. If you don’t have any decorations, coordinate a canvas painting night with the girls on your hall! It’s not only a great bonding experience, but it will liven up everyone’s room.

7. Keep a journal

Freshman year can be crazy, exciting, and very busy. You won’t want to forget anything that you’ve experienced during your first few months of college. Write everything down. It’s relaxing to be able to recount some of the happiest moments of your life and refreshing to be able to vent about your frustrations.

8. Don’t believe everything you see on social media

Everyone is going to be posting about how much fun they’re having in college, what parties they’re at, and all the friends they’re making. No one is going to post about when they’re homesick, anxious, or sitting in their dorm room alone. It’s normal to feel as though you aren’t having the same college experience as others because those people are probably feeling the same way as well. Be yourself and know that everyone is in the same boat as you!

9. Join a club that has nothing to do with your major

At Clemson we have hundreds of clubs from the grilled cheese club to the sailing club. While it’s important to build your resume, choose a club that you’ll look forward to going to and that can provide an escape from your busy life.

Have a great freshman year Tigers!

Former Senior Editor
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19