This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

As a disclaimer, I have little to no credibility about “what’s in” in 2018, but here’s five exciting things on the scene for the new year:

1. A Wrinkle in Time

Granted, all I know about this movie is from the trailer, but Disney’s adaptation of “A Wrinkle in Time” is bound to be an award-winning masterpiece when it comes out on March 9, 2018. The incredible cast features Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, and Oprah Whinfrey playing magical warriors of good and light, as if they aren’t already! Storm Reid’s character’s father, played by the beautiful, strong browed, Chris Pine has disappeared, and only she can save him from the dark forces of the universe. Get ready for incredible acting, cute metaphors for the interworking’s of time and space, and bold eye shadow choices in this exciting James and the Giant Peach-meets-Interstellar box office sensation!

2. Cardi B

As of January 18, 2018, breakout rapper Cardi B has surpassed Beyonce on the charts with five simultaneous Top 10 singles. With Bodak Yellow she took the number one spot on Hot 100, making her the first female rapper to do so since 1998. Last year, Cardi took the world by storm and she won’t slow it down! Cardi B just made her first movie deal which begins filming in March. Maybe we’ll also see her and fiancé, rapper Offset, have a massive rap music video-themed wedding featuring hilariously expensive props. Cardi B will be one of the most high-demand, height-of-her-career female artists in 2018.

3. Serial Season Three

The third installment of the popular, long-form podcast, Serial, is said to be released sometime in early 2018. Serial is a nonfiction story told week-by-week and narrated by the charmingly pragmatic Sarah Koenig. In Season one, she tells the story of the murder of a high school student and the alleged murderer/former boyfriend, Adnan Syed, who had been serving a life sentence for the crime. In Season two, Koenig recounts the trials of Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl who was charged for desertion after being held by the Taliban for five years. Serial was ranked number one on iTunes for several weeks and won a Peabody award for its innovative story telling. I cannot wait to immerse myself in Serial once again and experience the “hanging on the edge of your seat” feeling while speed walking around campus.

4. Virtual Reality

VR simulation games for Android and iOS were one of this year’s hottest Christmas gifts. I expect major growth in virtual reality games, especially ones focused on a fully immersive experience for the 2018 Fifa World Cup.  Although putting myself in a virtual shark tank where I’m unable to look away seems tempting for my anxiety-ridden self, I would like to think that a new, light-hearted, augmented reality game like Pokemon Go is on the rise for 2018.  The line between reality and fiction is already blurred enough, I say we lean into it and blur it some more!

5. Mushroom Coffee and Oat Milk

Although this may sound like a lame, mad-libs style beverage, my prediction is that these will be some of the trendiest foods of 2018. For the past few years, trendy food has moved in the direction of healthy, expensive, and obscure that just begs the question, “Why?” This is no traditional coffee beverage because traditions are so OUT in 2018! Mushrooms are predicted to be one of this year’s super foods as they are nutrient-rich and known to have immunity and energy health benefits. And what’s better in your steaming cup of liquefied, dried mushrooms than a splash of oat milk? How someone can milk a Quaker oat is beyond me, but I’m all for a wider range of non-dairy milks because it really says something about human achievement. If you’re in the market this year for a very earthy-tasting morning pick me up, look no further than your local forest or pantry.

This year is bound to be filled with more memes, slang, and, of course, political quagmire, but never forget to try something new in 2018!

Hi, I'm Justine! I'm a senior Health Administration student with fun-mom-energy and a spunky personality! Likes: improv comedy, breakfast sandwiches, thrift stores, plush throws, complex salads Dislikes: moral dilemmas, American cheese, wet countertops, physical competitions
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19