david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Cheap and Easy Ways to Decorate Your Apartment for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Getting in the Halloween spirit can be kind of hard when you’re not only on a budget but also living in a small space with other people. However, if you’re like me, you love decorating for holidays and getting in the spirit (spirit, haha, get it?). Living the college life, I have found some easy ways of decorating that won’t break the bank. You can use the 5 items below to decorate your WHOLE apartment!

1. Cheesecloth

This might sound weird, but cheesecloth can be used to make TONS of spooky decorations for Halloween. It can be found at craft stores and online at most places. Some examples of some spooky decorations are fake smoke on tables, rip it up to create spider webs to be hung up or on tables, cover objects (and even people) to create cute mummies, and for a super scary decoration, buy a mannequin head at the craft store and cover it in cheesecloth to create ghosts.  

2. Milk Jugs

Before chucking your milk jugs in the recycling bin, put them to the side to use for decorations instead! Make sure you wash them out thoroughly first, then grab a sharpie/x-acto knife, and some Christmas lights. Using your sharpie, or knife, draw ghost or pumpkin faces on to the jug. Then place your Christmas lights inside and plug them in. Now you have super cute ghosts/pumpkins to put around the house or even on the front porch!

3. Cans

Another item you can find in your recycling bin! Make sure you wash out the cans and watch out for sharp corners. Spray paint or paint the outside of the cans your color of choice, then poke holes in them to shape out letters spelling spooky words (boo, eek, etc.). Place construction paper or tissue paper behind the letter and illuminate the can with battery powered tea lights or Christmas lights! You can also paint the cans to make pumpkins, ghosts, or scary animals.

4. Rocks

What, rocks? Yes, rocks! Look no further than your front yard or parking lot to find some cute Halloween decorations. Grab some paint and googly eyes, and create some scary monsters, pumpkins, candy corn, ghosts or even eyes. The bigger the rock, the bigger the decoration!

5. Construction Paper

This one is quite easy, you can use construction paper (or even paper you have colored) to create fun shapes like bats, pumpkins, and candy corn. You can create a super cute garland out of them by punching holes in the top and stringing them up. You can also wrap construction paper around old paper towel or toilet paper rolls.

Devon is a marketing major with a minor in communications at Clemson University. She's from Anderson, South Carolina. A southern gal deep in her roots, she can't live without sweet tea. She DIY's everything (even if it's not necessary) and loves to be creative. She loves adventures, hanging with friends, and all kinds of animals. Devon is never afraid to share her opinion or dance when everyone's watching. Feel free to follow her on instagram @devon_finley
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.