15 Beach Books To Kick Off Your Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

We are almost there collegiates! The countdown to summer has begun which means long, relaxing days at the beach. Here are some page-turning books to read while you enjoy doing nothing:

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

My favorite genre while lying on the beach is always suspense or thrillers and this one is so much better than the movie, just saying.

2. Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins

When a young woman goes missing the main character, a struggling alcoholic, investigates the disappearance and even wonders if she may be the killer.

3. Love Does by Bob Goff

This book follows the story of the author Bob Goff on his amazing adventures throughout his life. If you are looking for a read that is truly uplifting and inspirational then check this book out!

4. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

If you’re looking for a read that will last you awhile, look no further. Before there was the HBO hit, this bestseller was flying off the shelves.

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jane Austen is a classic and if you haven’t read her by now, then put this book at the top of your to-do list.

6. Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding

A bestselling spinoff of Pride and Prejudice, this modern take follows the quirky heroine of Bridget Jones as she navigates her struggling love life.

7. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

The show True Blood was one of HBO’s greatest hits and is based off the Sookie Stackhouse series. Dead Until Dark is the first book in series and if you end up liking this one, don’t worry, there’s 13 books in total.

8. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

While Anne Hathaway did an amazing job as the heroine of the movie, read the original version of the “fictional” account about what it was like for the author to work for the biggest fashion editor in New York City.

9. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

This gut wrenching tale follows the forbidden romance between the main character and the wife of the circus’s showrunner. I can testify that this New York Times Bestseller will have you completely mesmerized by the dramatic ending.

10. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The epic romance follows the couple of Clare and Henry. Henry has been born with Chrono-Displacement Disorder, a genetic disease that causes him to be able to go back in time. While Clare has known Henry since she was six years old, Henry meets her for the first time when he is in his 30’s. The story follows their relationship over multiple decades and challenges.

11. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

This Australian novel follows the forbidden love between Meggie and Ralph, an ambitious priest of the Catholic church. The international bestseller was turned into a miniseries in 1983 starring Robert Redford and became the second highest-rated miniseries of all time behind Roots.

12. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

A combination of high Russian society, a scandalous affair, and a commentary on the politics of the country during the 19th century, Tolstoy simultaneously creates a novel that is entertaining and meaningful

13. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

One of my favorite books during high school, this short novel is fantastic if you’re looking for a quick but powerful read.

14. No Place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark

Everyone knows that Mary Higgins Clark is the queen of suspense (it even says so on the front of the book) and she does not disappoint in her annual bestseller from 2005.

15. Wild by Cheryl Strayed

This true story follows the adventures of one young woman who decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail by herself. The book was recently released as a movie and the author is played by Reese Witherspoon.

Happy summer collegiates!

Former Senior Editor
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19