10 Tricks for Beating the Rain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

There’s nothing quite like a rainy day to pick up a book and relax with a cup of hot cocoa but, in college, rainy days are much less picturesque. If you have the time to skip a whole day and just relax by a window, I envy you. For the rainy days when you have to keep grinding, here are 10 tips to beat the rain.

1. Actually Go to Class

You woke up to a downpour and find comfort in your cozy bed, but resist the temptation to call off the whole day because of the weather. Your education trumps your desire for more sleep and you’ll feel accomplished when you climb Martins’ slippery steps and waltz into class.

2. Minimize Time Outside

A rainy day isn’t the best day for a scenic tour of Clemson University, and if you typically maximize your walking to hit your step goal, you may want to alter your schedule a bit. Instead of regularly going back to your dorm to pick up items for class, carry the burden of a full backpack and try to stay dry.

3. Skip Absorbing Materials

This is self-explanatory, yet I still find myself soaked to the bone in heavy, wet clothes. Your favorite hoodie may seem like the best thing to sport when you’re running late to class, but that soft material will collect every drop of rain and make you miserable. Opt for water-resistant materials to keep you comfortable all day.

4. Trade Tennis Shoes for Rain Boots

Tennis shoes seem like the perfect footwear to reduce slipping on a rainy day, but Clemson’s campus has a habit of forming puddles. Some are unavoidable and then there’s the surprisingly deep puddle that leaves a pool of water in your shoes for hours. Try wearing some water-resistant boots with traction to keep you upright and dry.

5. Always Carry an Umbrella

Your mother has told you this for years, but you’re about to hear it again. An umbrella is a staple for any Clemson student because we walk everywhere and are directly exposed to the elements. You won’t always need your umbrella, but when you do, you’ll thank yourself for being prepared.

6. Invest in a Rain Jacket

Rain jackets are perfect for people who can’t be bothered with cumbersome umbrellas or just want another layer of protection. Rain jackets have come a long way since our Barbie raincoat childhood, and they can quickly become a staple in your wardrobe no matter the weather.

7. Watch Your Step

Clemson students walk all over campus and there’s no doubt that the slippery terrain is an accident waiting to happen. Even when you have traction on your shoes, be careful because the wrong step could send you sliding right to Redfern.

8. Put Your Hair Up

Rainy days have it out for our hair. From excessive frizz to soaked roots, rain will make its mark on your daily hairstyle and the wind will quickly force your hair to betray you by whipping in your face. Try a bun or a ponytail to keep it in place. Bonus points if you can tuck it in a hoodie or under an umbrella!

9. Keep Warm

If you needed a sign that you should spend even more Paw Points in Starbucks, here you go! There’s nothing quite like being soaked to your core and warming yourself up with a hot drink.  

10. Enjoy It

Rainy days may alter your plans, but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing! Attitude is everything and during test week jumping in a few puddles may be precisely what you need.

Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.