burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Clean Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

My personal favorite season is here and I could not be happier. There is something so exciting about the change in the smell in the air, the flowers blooming, and the warmer weather. Spring is the perfect time to embrace change, and there are so many different ways to approach it. As someone who feels restricted by the repetition of routine, I understand the importance of changing things up every now and then. Although the words “Spring Cleaning” makes us think of actual chores, the term “cleaning” can be applied to more aspects of your life than your kitchen or bathroom. 

• De-clutter: Most of us own more stuff that we don’t use than we would like to admit. For me in particular, this pile of junk lives in my closet. Excess clothing not only adds to the clutter of your life, but also takes up space that could be used for new clothes. Because the fashion industry is so pollutant, opt for donating or selling your clothes rather than tossing them in the garbage. For Clarkies, Grime is secondhand store located on Shrewsbury street that takes in gently worn clothing and offers cash or store credit in exchange for items. There are also websites, such as DePop and Poshmark, that allow you to easily sell your clothes online. A fun end-of-the-year idea is to organize a clothing swap with friends. Don’t just stop at your closet, though. De-cluttering can also be done by going through desk drawers, closets, and storage bins
  • Revisit your New Year’s resolutions: You probably told yourself you’d work out every day, read a book a week, learn a new language and have most likely given up at this point. I have good news for you: it’s not too late to start up again! Every day is a new opportunity for a fresh start, and the act of change doesn’t need to be limited to one time per year. This time, however, take a more lenient approach so that it’ll be easier to stick to them. 
  • Switch up your diet: In the winter I tend to eat lots of warmer, carb-filled dishes like soups and stews to keep me full in the cold. Whether you eat in the dining hall or cook for yourself, changing the regular meals you eat is much easier than you’d think. In the warmer months I like to eat more raw fruits and vegetables, and try to stay away from junk foods that bloat me or weigh me down. 
  • Adjust your skincare regimen: Winter weather has a much different effect on your skin than Spring and Summer weather does. If you have dry skin and you’ve been using a heavy moisturizer for the past few months, opt for a more lightweight lotion that won’t clog your pores. If you don’t normally use SPF, it’s especially important to incorporate into your morning routine now that the sun is more prominent. 
Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!