Sweatpants Against A Wall
Sweatpants Against A Wall
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Wellness

Period Cramp Relief/Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Ahh yes, that dreadful time of the month. I seriously dread getting my period because of the cramps that come with it. Everyone’s cycle is different, for some it is short, others long, some heavy some light, some painful some just fine. My cramps feel as though someone took a hammer and started beating my stomach and it does not stop until halfway through my cycle, which (TMI, but whatever) lasts about a week. 

After trying what feels like a million trials, I have found some helpful cramp relief remedies that are not your typical “take an aspirin” (which works too). 

Pick out comfortable protection.

This might seem like an obvious tip but you would be surprised how drastically this can change your overall experience. I started out wearing pads but then hated the feeling of walking around in what felt like a wet bloody diaper. I tried tampons but always felt the same way I did about pads. Finally, I tried the diva cup and I liked it, there are pros and cons but my number one pro is that it is reusable.  

Black Strap Molasses

Blackstrap molasses are rich in iron, potassium, phosphorus, and calcium. They will not only restart your periods but will also prevent cramps and menstrual pain that comes before menstruation. My mom introduced me to this wonderful miracle, which is the number one thing I use, I have level 9/10 painful cramps. This works wonders, you can mix the molasses into warm or hot water (bonus if you put in apple cider vinegar). You can find blackstrap molasses at Whole Foods.

Drink plenty of liquids.

Make sure you are staying hydrated whether it is water, hot tea, juice, etc. Drinking liquids keeps your body from retaining water and helps to avoid unpleasant bloating during your period.

Apply heat.

Taking a hot shower can really help you feel like your guts are relaxed. The same applies to a heating pad to your stomach. The heat helps by relaxing the muscles of the uterus and therefore increases blood flow and eases pain.

Acupressure

Acupressure is essentially a method of sending a signal to the body (by needle or other means) to “turn on” its own self-healing or regulatory mechanisms (exploreim.ucla). There are millions of videos on Youtube of various techniques and points you can concentrate on for period cramp relief. Some of the positions last a shorter time of relief than others, so it really is a trial/error type of thing but I still highly recommend trying. 

Keep in mind that everybody is different. What works for me might not work for you and that is okay. I hope at least one of these works for you and if not, I hope you find a technique that works. 

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.