Massachusetts Woman Saves Sky Bar Candy Bar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Sky Bar may be making a return, and it’s thanks to a Massachusetts woman.

Louise Mawhinney, owner of Duck Soup in Sudbury, said last week that she won the rights to Sky Bar through an online auction.

“Like so many others, I was watching the evolving events at Necco with dismay,” Mawhinney said. “I couldn’t believe that Sky Bar would never be produced again. I placed a bid and I must admit I was stunned to suddenly become the owner of the brand.”

Necco, which started in 1847, declared bankruptcy last year.

Introducted in 1938, Sky Bar is a four-sectioned candy. Each section is filled with a different flavor: caramel, vanilla, peanut, and fudge. Mawhinney is working with Jeff Green, a 33-year Necco veteran and former vice president of research and devlopment. She is hoping for a small batch production to start later this year.

“I was very glad to connect with Louise as I thought that Sky Bar would eb gone forever,” Green said.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.