Crudites
Crudites
Christin Urso / Spoon

Journey: 30 Days into Intermittent fasting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Intermittent fasting (IF) is an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating (Heathline.com). While scrolling on Youtube one day, I saw a video about IF and I was fascinated. My goal is this journey is not only to lose weight but develop a routine for eating. I am on the eight hours eating period/sixteen-hour break. 

I chose the sixteen-hour rest period after looking at my schedule. This semester I have many evening classes back to back and this makes getting dinner nearly impossible. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I eat breakfast and lunch. For breakfast, I have oatmeal ninety-nine percent of the time, I eat a heavy filling lunch. From around 3 pm to 7 am the next day, I do not eat. I try my best to remain consistent with this routine. 

Honest Time: -I do snack in between, especially after class sometimes. I think of healthier alternatives such as a banana, plantain chips, dried mangos, homemade peanut butter muffins, etc. -It is hard! I have noticed I will wake up VERY hungry in the morning and my stomach aches. I won’t starve myself though, while I try my best to remain consistent, I also allow flexibility. -I have not noticed any significant weight loss yet. I do not keep a scale in my dorm room and do not weigh myself regularly. -I feel good, overall. I feel in control of my health (as I have been), but this time I like having a schedule. Before I felt as though my eating periods were free for all and becoming a bad habit. 

I will continue with intermittent fasting going into February. I like the idea of it being a time diet in comparison to a food diet. With IF, I have noticed people are a bit kinder to themselves than those completing a “healthy food diet”. Cravings are real and it is okay to have that slice of chocolate cake. Knowing when to stop is the key detail in any diet. Love yourself, body included. 

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.