How to Survive a Busy Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

It’s that time of year again, when the semester really starts and all of those obligations that sounded like fun during winter break hit you. What should you do when you realize that you are completely over committed and overworked? Here are a few tips.

1.  Have a partner? Trust them.

This isn’t about a romantic partner; its about your group projects, your fellow e-board members, and your co-workers. Lean on them when you can, but don’t ask for more than is reasonable to give. The most important thing that you can do when feeling overwhelmed is trust that other people will do what they committed to. You will drive yourself crazy trying to micromanage everyone around you.

2.Don’t do more than is expected of you.

Obviously, you shouldn’t always follow this rule, going above and beyond helps set you apart, but when you’re drowning, don’t offer to take on more water. Make sure that you can fulfill your commitments before taking on more.

3. Step Back

Is it annoying when someone quits? Yes. Is it so much worse when they just don’t do what they said they would? Yes. If you think you need to quit something, do it soon, before that big, end of semester event that you won’t be able to pull off. If you quit, they can get a replacement. If you just do a bad job, or work yourself into a breakdown, then you won’t give them time to find someone to replace you or you will reflect badly on them.

4.Take time for you

Whether that means scheduling in lunch with your friends or hanging out in a local craft studio making pots, you need a little time for you.

5.Take care of your health

Go to the gym, get enough sleep, drink lots of water, eat regularly, and wash your hands well. Nothing will make a busy schedule more difficult than getting sick.

She is a Junior and majoring in International Development and Social Change. PC: Rose Wine Photography