A Freshman Guide to Making Friends in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Whether you had a small friend group or a big one in high school, making friends in college is always hard for everyone. But no matter who you talk to, most people will say that the friends they made in college have been their best friends in life long after graduation. There’s no one way or one location to meet people, but here are some of our best tips to help you find the best circle of friends possible!

1. Go out of your way to talk to people: This is the simplest, but hardest thing you can do. It might seem weird to go up to someone in the dining hall, but take it from someone who met one of her best friends and current roommate by doing so! If you see someone wearing something you think is cute, compliment them on it. If you notice someone has a sticker on their laptop that you have too, point it out. There is always at least one thing you could have in common with someone, so step out of your comfort zone and you might just make a good friend out of one conversation.
  2. Join clubs: This might sound pretty obvious, but a club is the easiest place to find people who you share common interests with. No matter how small your school might be, there are always going to be a large selection of clubs to choose from. This is a great way to not only find friends, but to also possibly find mentors by connecting with older students.
  3. Use your dorm to your advantage: Leaving your door open when you’re in the room is a simple invite for your dorm-mates to pop in and say hi. Most RA’s organize events at the beginning of the year to encourage students to get to know each other, so don’t be shy about speaking up at those events.
  4. Be yourself: Although pretty basic, a lot of people tend to get caught up in creating a new persona when they get to college which is definitely not the way to go. In my opinion, I don’t think people should see college as a way to reinvent themselves, but as a way to better themselves. You’re going to attract people with similar interests, so if you’re open about who you are deep down, you’ll be more likely to connect with people.
  5. Don’t stress: Finding a friend group isn’t going to happen on the first day of orientation. Developing connections with people takes time, so give it a few weeks or even months to settle into a group that you feel comfortable and happy with.

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!