This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Now on its 15th season, Grey’s Anatomy is close to tying E.R. as one of the longest-running hospital dramas on TV. In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, Ellen Pompeo hinted at the future of the popular show. 

“I’m clearly not prepared right now to make any formal announcement about what my future is on the show, but I am really feeling like we have told the majority of the stories that we can tell,” she admitted.

She then added: “It’s about time that I mix it up. I’m definitely looking for a change.” 

Interestingly, current Showrunner Krista Vernoff rebukes this. She’s responded to all the concern, saying that she herself has not had any conversations about ending it. 

“You know, if you look back over the years, Ellen has said some version of that many times. Ellen, one of the most palpable powerful things about her is her restlessness…she wants to change it up.” 

I have written the end of the show at least six times,” Series Creator Shonda Rhimes recalls. “But we just don’t end. Every time I thought, ‘This is how the show should end,’ we’ve gone past those moments, so I’ve stopped trying. I have no idea now.” 

Whatever the future of Grey’s may be, it seems clear that the star may want to wrap it up soon. For now, we can enjoy the record season 15 airing Thursdays at 8 pm. 

Julia is a recent graduate of Clark University who loves reading, writing, and entertainment in any form. You can usually find her obsessing over a new show or movie. She shamelessly loves pop music and pop culture in general and her dog Izzie.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.