This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

I was standing outside the room, walking around nervously and waiting for them to call me in for the audition. After a while I was called in and got to meet all the members of Counterpoints before the actual audition started. I still remember when I first saw them perform: how incredible and powerful they sounded even though it was only the six of them. I knew that I wanted to be a part of the group of talented strong females. That was the moment that I decided to get over my insecurities and sign up for auditions.  As they introduced themselves to me I suddenly felt less nervous and more ready for what it is about to come. I took a few breaths and started to sing the song that I had prepared.

A few days have passed and then I received the news that I successfully survived call-backs and got in. I was so happy and excited that I could not wait for the first rehearsal and be an official member of Counterpoints. I have always loved singing and being part of an a cappella group has been a goal of mine for a long time. I knew it is going to be a lot of work, especially when I heard that we are going to rehearse seven hours a week but did not expect that it is going to be so much fun. It is the perfect break from a stressful class schedule, hours of homework, and a busy day. The more time I got to spend with all the truly unique and amazing members, I got to understand what being a part of Counterpoints means.

Being a Counterpoint means being kind to others and always there for our group members. It is a group that knocks on your door, sings a song to tell you that you got in and hand you a poster with your name on it and cute personal notes. It means empowering each other. Most importantly, it means embracing the fact of being a part of an all female a cappella group. It is a group of all different kinds of young women of different ages from all over the world, but we all share the same love for singing and creating something new out of something old. I was recently talking to a friend of mine who is also a member of Counterpoints, and she said that she never thought that she would enjoy singing an a cappella group so much until she did. Even though it is a lot of work and is a serious commitment, it has always been something that we all looked forward to. Especially the first performance we had, it was something really special and an event I often like to think back to. After countless rehearsals and lots of work on pitch and blend, we could not wait anymore to present what we have already accomplished in only a short period of time.

As we walked on stage for the performance, I heard my friends shouting my name as we formed an arc. I looked around at my group members I could see the excitement in the eyes of each one of them. Natalie, our truly awesome conductor and the heart of our group, counted us in, and I could feel how ready and proud we all are to be a part of Counterpoints.

I am Kadijha, or also known as Kaddy, and a Freshmen at Clark University. I am originally from Germany and really excited to be here and to explore all the great opportunities that Clark has to offer. Moreover, I am thinking about majoring in IDSC or Peace Studies. In my free time I enjoy hanging out with my friends, play the ukulele and singing, which is why I love being a part of counterpoints.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.