This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

With classes back in session, the transition from your laid-back summer mindset to a more regimented mindset can feel pretty abrupt. Although your homework load might already be toppling over, there are ways to ease back into the swing of things. Here are our top tips for college students starting up school again!

1. Get a planner: I cannot stress this enough, but if you don’t write your assignments and test dates down, you will be more likely to forget them. If you’re already feeling helplessly overwhelmed, a planner can help you visualize everything you have to do on a timeline.

2. Get back into a good sleep cycle: Whether you were working long hours or staying up late hanging out with friends at home, it’s easy to say that you probably haven’t been sleeping all that well. Going out with friends every night during syllabus week can seem really tempting, but if you’re looking to set yourself up for success it might not be the best idea. Don’t feel like you have to make a choice between school work and social life, though. It’s all about balance. If you want to go out during a school night, make sure you don’t have an early class the next morning and get all your work done ahead of time so, you won’t have to stress about that when you’re with your friends.

3. Meal prep: If you live off campus, you know how indispensable meal prepping is. This can be as simple as cooking enough pasta for 3 meals ahead of time, that way when you’re in between classes all you have to do is heat up the pasta and add some sauce to it. If you’re on a meal plan, a good tip would be to stock up on healthy snacks like granola bars and yogurt (if you have a mini fridge). If you know that one day you’re going to be extra busy between lunch and dinner, grab a granola bar before leaving your dorm that morning so you don’t get too hangry. Hunger can also make it harder to concentrate in class which makes keeping snacks on you at all times even more important.

4. Get a good bag: A good backpack that can hold your laptop, all your notebooks, your water bottle, all your chargers and everything else you need on the regular, will make or break your school year. If your bag is too small and you find yourself constantly forgetting things in your room, it might be a good idea to invest in a cute, yet convenient back.

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!