neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Advice for Students Registering for Classes for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Plan Ahead  

Have backups, have backups for your backups. Check regularly to see if your classes filled up. 

Schedule Carefully  

You should know when and how you learn best. Are you a “9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and then done for the day” kind of person? Are you a “Fridays off?” “No classes back to back?” “Evening classes only?” Decide and plan accordingly. If you can’t focus and you’re miserable, your grades will suffer too. 

Consider extra-curriculars  

Most clubs meet in the evening. Will you have enough evenings free to pursue what you’re passionate about?

Spread it out  

All labs, all lectures, or all seminars are probably a bad idea. If you take different kinds of classes with different kinds of materials, it will help you not get bored. 

Should I prioritize my gen eds or my major requirements?

If you’re undecided, definitely try to knock out your general requirements. If you think you know, try to get a mix so that you can try out some classes in your program and still explore new things, just in case. 

I didn’t get one of my classes, what do I do now?  

You can try to email the professor and see if they will put you in. Otherwise, use one of the backups you choose and get excited about the possibility of enjoying something unexpected. 

I’m freaking out about commitment.  

That is what the add-drop period is for!

I’m worried that my classes are going to be too hard.  

Challenge is good. Challenge is healthy. If for some reason, your classes are too hard and you can’t handle it, you can change. Worst comes to worst, you can drop it and make up the credit lately. 

I am stressed.  

I hear you. It may feel like a momentous decision, but semesters go by fast. Even if you hate all of your classes, it will end.  

She is a Junior and majoring in International Development and Social Change. PC: Rose Wine Photography
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.