7 Professional Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Cultivating a professional wardrobe can be a daunting task even for the most savvy shoppers, especially when it’s coupled with the task of finding and internship or entering the work force. The key to building a solid professional wardrobe is investing in good quality, versatile pieces that will serve you well for many years. Here are the basics you should add to your closet: 

1. Black dress – this is a regular wardrobe essential but is especially useful to have for professional attire. A black dress can be very versatile and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Try to find one that has a classic silhouette, like a wrap style or an a-line. 

Dress

2. A pair of slacks – having a nice pair of dress pants in your closet is a must. A pair in khaki, grey or black will go with many different tops and shoes as well. For style, straight cut, boot cut or ankle length are all timeless styles that you’ll be able to wear for a long time. 

Pants

3. White blouse – a white blouse can be worn with a blazer, tucked into a skirt or just on its own with a pair of slacks. It’s good to invest in a high quality white blouse that will keep its shape and color even after many washes. A button down style is probably the most versatile, but something like a simple peplum can work just as well. 

Blouse

4. A structured, well fitting blazer – a blazer is another closet staple that is worth investing in. The key to a good blazer is the fit and structure. Make sure you find one that is good quality and fits well in the shoulders as well as the arm length. Color wise, either navy or black are typically the most versatile. 

Blazer

5. A pair of black heels or ballet flats – this is another one that is worth investing some money in. If you’ll be wearing these shoes often, you’ll want them to be comfortable and high quality to ensure that you’ll get the most wear out of them. For this, it’s always better to buy them in person rather than order online so you have a chance to walk around in them a bit. If you’re not a fan of heels but want something a little bit dressier than flats, try a kitten heel. Kitten heels help to give an outfit the polish of a heel while maintaining the comfort of a ballet flat. 

Heels

6. A good quality, simple purse – believe it or not, a purse can say a lot about a person! Especially when you’re going into interviews and may be carrying your resume or other documents in a bag, it’s good to have a simple and high quality purse by your side. A nice leather material bag with a structured shape in either navy, black or tan will be perfect for almost all situations. 

Purse

7. Knee length skirt – the key to finding a good professional skirt is making sure the length is appropriate. While it doesn’t need to cover below your knees, an appropriate skirt length will fall just above the knee and not too far up the thigh. This will ensure that you aren’t constantly tugging at it or pulling it down and that it will be work appropriate. For color, navy and black are again the most versatile, and finding a skirt that matches the color of your blazer means that you can wear them together as a skirt suit if you so choose. 

Skirt

With these 7 pieces in your closet, you’ll feel confident walking into any interview or office with your head held high! 

Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!