andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Tips for Adjusting to Campus after Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

This past fall I spent the semester studying abroad in Santiago, Chile.  My first semester of college – when studying abroad was just something of my imagination – my study abroad advisor explained the cycle of emotions I would experience during my trip: joy, annoyance/ anger, sadness, and acceptance.  I carried that bit of information with me as I entered my boarding gate at JFK International Airport.  It took just five days before joy was replaced by annoyance.  I had an amazing time in Chile, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t experience that cycle of emotions throughout my whole trip. 

Something I didn’t consider was the range of emotions I would experience when I returned to the United States.  In my communications class in Santiago I learned that it can take anywhere from 2-18 months to acclimate back to your home after living abroad.  I thought it was a little ridiculous – there was no way it would take me any longer than 2 weeks.  I was so wrong.  I had an incredibly difficult time after only a few days of being home.  I missed my friends. I was sad, tired, and experiencing a plethora of emotions.  I have since accepted that I am still adjusting back into things, especially at school.  Luckily, over the last two months I have discovered some tricks for acclimating back post-study abroad. 

So, here are my four tips for acclimating back to school after study abroad. 

1. Get active!

I used to go to the campus gym all the time before I went abroad (which was a habit I did not continue in Chile).  Once I returned, I started my old fitness routine again.  It made me feel good about myself and also had a really positive effect on my mood.

2. Get involved!

The entire semester I was abroad, I felt like I was being left out of so many amazing things happening on campus despite all the fun I was having.  When I got back to campus I knew getting involved in campus activities would give me the sense of belonging I was seeking.  So I returned to one of my old clubs and got involved in one new activity.  Both organizations keep me busy and have allowed me to meet new people!

3. Treat yourself!

Do something just for you when you get back.  Get a train ticket to visit a friend, buy yourself a new outfit, or go to a restaurant you missed while you were away.  If you’re low on funds, look for fun community events or free activities in your area. Get out and do something fun, just for you.  This can also be a fun way to catch up with friends you missed.

4. Talk to someone!

If you are feeling sad or having a hard time adjusting to life on campus, talk to someone you trust.  This can be a friend, significant other, or even an advisor.  Talk to a professor or colleague you feel comfortable talking to.  If you are having a really hard time and it’s really affecting you, book an appointment with counseling services or talk to the study abroad office.  It’s okay to not be okay.  There are people that are here for you and they will help you find your sense of belonging and help ease your transition.

Your time abroad had a lasting impact on you.  It is reasonable and normal that you may not be able to smoothly glide back into campus life.  However, in time, you will learn to adjust to campus life, just like you adjusted to the country you studied in.  Your campus was home long before you went abroad, and it will feel like home again soon. 

Hope these tips help you have a great semester back!

Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!