Wellness > Mental Health

3 Ways To Prioritize Your Mental Health this Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

After talking to so many fellow students, this spring semester seems to be more burdensome than any other semester. The days may be short but the nights are long and full of anxious thoughts and all-nighters. Our mental health will start to deteriorate (if it has not already) unless we start with these simple mini-fixes:

Say No

If there is something you are being asked to do/ take part in that will draw you further away from your goals, say no. This could be something as simple as saying no to a hang out because you have a test the next day, want to catch up on a class reading, or get ahead of your assignments. FOMO can suck but feeling behind in your to-do’s or assignments sucks more and can have a bigger impact. You are not selfish for making the best decision for yourself in order to be a better person. 

Take A Break 

I have noticed that I used to pile up my to-do’s back to back. When I started scheduling my breaks,  I found studying and completing to-do tasks more enjoyable. You can read, take a nap, just stare at the wall, or whatever you want to do during your break that is not focusing on the task at hand. 

Reach Out

If you feel overwhelmed it can help to talk to friends, family, a therapist, or to journal. While talking with a friend, family member or other loved ones can be useful, it is a good pro-tip to ask the person if you can vent to them first. This is a great way to maintain healthy relationships with others and promote healthy boundaries. 

If needed, contact your school’s mental health counseling center for help or look on their website to find some great resources. 

Side Note: Journaling is so therapeutic, you can write down your feelings and look back at the journal entry a few hours, days, or even years later. This could help you process your thoughts, think out loud, and analyze your feelings.   

Joy is a senior at Clark University majoring in Management on a data analytics and marketing track with a minor in Community Youth and Education Studies. She loves going on road trips and spending time with family and friends. She enjoys trying various cultural cuisines (Indian food is her favorite **Chicken saag with a side of naan please**) and has an obsession with going to Morocco.