samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Easy Ways to Incorporate ‘Me Time’ Into Your Finals Schedule

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

We all know that self-care should always be a top priority, especially during high stress times like the end of the semester. As much as professors, parents, doctors and friends tell us we need to stay healthy and take care of ourselves, it can be really difficult to make time in your schedule to actually take breaks. When your to-do list is a million miles long, the thought of taking a break can actually stress you out even more! Luckily, there are ways to incorporate small moments of “me time” into your current, crazy schedule. Even though they may be small and seemingly meaningless actions, taking those few minutes to focus on yourself can be a tremendous help to your sanity during the most hectic times.

1. Make yourself a cup of tea. It’s very tempting to reach for coffee when you need a boost during finals, but too much coffee can keep you wired and then lead to a major energy crash. Instead, try making a cup of tea like Yogi’s Sweet Tangerine Positive Energy flavor. Not only is it healthier than coffee, but the actual process of making the tea will give you a few moments to focus on something other than work. Take a break while you boil the water and while the tea is steeping, and then take the time to enjoy drinking it before returning to your work. This whole process could take as little as 10 minutes but will help to clear your head and refocus you for when you return to your work.
  2. Add a beauty treatment to your nighttime routine to relax before bed. It can be tempting to jump into bed without showering or taking your makeup off when you’ve been studying all day, but taking the time to get ready for bed and follow your normal nighttime routine will help you feel more like yourself when you’re stressed. To enjoy the process more, add some pampering into your regimen by including an extra beauty treatment that you wouldn’t normally do before bed. Putting on a face mask after you wash your face is a great option to feel pampered with minimal effort. Certain face masks, like Leaders Cosmetics 7 Wonders Caribbean Coconut Calming Mask, only take about 15-20 minutes to work their magic. Plus, you can multitask during that time by brushing your teeth or packing your bag for the next day.
  3. Read a non-school related book for 10 minutes before bed. Reading before bed is one of the best ways to calm your mind before falling asleep. Most of us spend about 5-10 minutes scrolling through our social media feeds in bed anyway, so why not try replacing that with 5-10 minutes of reading? If you’re at a loss for what book to pick up that isn’t a textbook, try a subscription service like the Book of the Month Club. BOTM will send you a different book of your choice every month straight to your mailbox. Taking this time before you fall asleep will get your mind off of your work and lead to a better night’s rest.While it can be tough to find time for breaks and self-care when you’re in finals mode, there are plenty of quick and easy ways to fit “me time” into your packed schedule. Ultimately, anything that gives you a mental break or lets you focus on yourself will help you to be more successful when you sit back down to work.  
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!