This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Before coming to Clarion University last fall, I wasn’t thinking too much about what groups I was going to join.  I was just nervous about if I was going to make any friends at all.  The first week of classes, I heard about a group called Her Campus.  I had always enjoyed expressing myself through writing so I thought that the club was worth looking into.  When I heard that Her Campus meant writing for an online magazine, I knew I had to join!  I mean, writing online for a potentially giant audience is about as cool as it gets!

The week before my first meeting, I was so nervous.  I was just a freshman and I didn’t know how I would fit in with all the other girls.  I was pretty worried as I walked over to the library to meet the whole group.  Of course, I had nothing to worry about! The girls welcomed me with open arms and made me feel so comfortable and happy.  I think I laughed more at that meeting than I did my whole first week of classes.  

I am so lucky to say that I found a group like Her Campus. I’ve been able to meet and hang out with some of the coolest, nicest, most well spoken girls. I’ve never felt excluded or put down. I feel like I’ve found a place where I can be unapologetically me.  

By writing articles for Her Campus, I’ve improved not only as a writer, but as a person. I’ve been able to explore new interests and new ideas and show others who I am and what I love. I’ve enjoyed writing so much that I decided recently to add a minor in Communications.  

I’m proud of the articles I’ve written, but I’m even prouder to be a part of such a great group of women. I’m so happy to call these women my mentors, my role models, and my friends.  

Happy First Birthday Her Campus Clarion! Here’s to many more years, many more stories and many more laughs!