Wellness

Red Apparel to Raise Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Red has plenty of connotation when it comes to how we feel and wish to express emotion. Many people think anger, symbolism such as stop or, more likely, love. This is the one to talk about. After all, February is all about spreading love and dressing up for the festivities in lovey-dovey colors such as pink and especially red. Red, however, has a much deeper meaning on the first Friday of February. On this day, people wear red to support women who have heart disease.

National Wear Red Day is all about raising awareness and funds to support heart disease many women are plagued with. So, if you ever wonder, why go red, it is important to remember that “cardiovascular disease in the U.S. kills one woman every 80 seconds,” making it the number one killer of women. Red is eye catching and, for many, brings about a sense of confidence and strength, which is how all women should feel, and what women battling this disease deserve to feel. National Wear Red Day has been in operation for 15 years as of Feb. 2, 2018, changing the way women treat their health in the process, such as positive diet and exercise habits. 

Go Red for Women is the organization that runs the National Wear Red Day and speaks so highly on raising awareness and funds to prevent and cure heart disease in women. Their website includes several helpful, informative passages about symptoms of heart disease and strokes, also about how this may be different in women and men. Out of all Americans, statistics on their site show that “2,200 Americans die of heart disease every single day…that’s one death every 39 seconds.” This unfortunate fact adds such a reality to the burden and hardship families, friends and, of course, the individual with heart disease must endure. The American Heart Association (AHA) has spent over $3.3 billion on research for heart disease and stroke, but no donation goes unneeded or without sincere gratitude to help prevent and cure this killer.

Sad to have missed the chance to show support earlier this month? Not to worry! There are ways to support the cause any day of the year, whether by donating to The American Heart Association, educating yourself on the matter or rocking that red shirt, scarf, socks or whatever apparel you have to show you care. Also, be ready for next year’s National Wear Red Day on the first Friday in February of 2019. For more information on National Wear Red Day or for more information on heart disease and strokes, visit here.