Make A Difference During Heart Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women in America. Every 38 seconds, someone dies from heart related illnesses. That turns out to equal 2,300 people a day. Chances are, you or someone you know has been affected by heart disease. Though heart diseases can be deadly, they are largely preventable.

February is dedicated to educating people on heart health, disease symptoms and ways to save lives. Here is a list of things you can do to prevent heart disease for you and your loved ones.

Exercise

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention states that as little as 150 minutes of exercise a week can help keep the heart healthy and help minimize the chances of disease. That’s only 20 minutes of exercise a day and can be as extensive as a high-intensity workout or be as simple as walking.

Don’t smoke

Smoking raises your chances of death significantly, not only from heart disease but cancers as well. If you or someone you know already smokes, ask your doctor for healthy ways to quit.

Eat healthy

Be aware of heart-healthy foods. These are foods that are loaded with antioxidants, fiber, omega-3 and potassium. Avoid fast food and find alternatives for salt (spices and seasonings are great alternatives). Even excessive alcohol consumption can lead to heart disease.

Be aware

Keep watch of your blood pressure and cholesterol. If either of these things are high, you might be at risk for heart disease. Ask your doctor what you can do, and do not let these symptoms go by without consultation.

Spread the word

Even if you are educated, other people may not be. Some might be unaware of the symptoms and others might not know how to prevent it. Poor diet, diabetes, obesity and inactivity can all put you or your loved ones at risk. As a community we must work together so we can move towards beating heart disease.

Just your average 22-year-old who loves pizza and puppies and wants to make a difference in the world.