harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

‘Keep Calm and Study On’ Tackles Students’ Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

The Students’ Union at City has help available during this dire time known as exam period. Union Support Service advice, stress balls, water bottles, massages and exam tips are just among the things offered by the CULSU during the week in an attempt to lessen the exam strains among the students.

The “Keep Calm and Study On” operation started on Tuesday 13 May with the Students’ Union setting up a station at the university’s main walkway, armed with gadgets, advice and smiles. A masseur was also at hand for soothing massages to de-stress students and caffeine consumption advice leaflets were distributed.

Animals also came to the rescue of worn-out students with the petting zoo the next day, Wednesday 14 May. Students and the general public were given the chance to feed and pet the animals at Northampton Square – right across City’s main entrance. The public event – featuring a donkey and a bunny among fowls and sheep – was aimed to give students animal interactions in a bid to help their mental well-being and coping with stress.

People also enjoyed taking selfies with the goats as well as feeding them. Free water bottles, stress balls and exam tips were still available at the petting zoo with the “Keep Calm and Study On” station continuing on until the 16th of May for the last batch of giveaways.

A BBC article reports about other universities’ attempt in tackling exam stress, with petting zoos being the most popular option. Students’ unions from other unis come up with activities such as tea emergency support and “bubble wrap stations”, which provides metres of bubble wrappers to help students pop away their anxieties and relieve their worries.

This prompted the CULSU in asking students whether they would like bubble wraps for next time instead. 

Photo credits to CULSU

Zay Arguelles

City London

My name is Zay Arguelles and I trudge upon life with a profound love for reading. I’m a 20-year-old Journalism undergrad at City University London. Orginally born in the Philippines, which is an archipelago in the Southeast Asia right on the fringes of the Pacific Ocean, I now find myself grasping for stars and dreams in London. I am currently the Deputy Editor of City Uni's student radio, City OnAir and you can check out my blogs on my webiste at www.zay-arguelles.comOnline Presence:Blog - Where Words FlyBook Blog - Strictly About BooksYouTube - Zay’s Channel | Where Words FlyTwitter - @zay_arguellesTumblr - wherewordsfly
Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/