City’s Student Counselling Provides Top Tips for Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Exam period is well and truly underway and you are obviously procrastinating if you are reading this article. So, we might as well offer you something help, at least. City’s Student Counselling and Mental Health Service team has provided the top six exam tips to help you conquer those sheets of exam paper.  

In an article from City’s university website, the Head of Student Councelling and Mental Health Service, Charlotte Halvorsen, said: “It’s important to remember that you are not an examination machine but a person who is taking exams. The best way to prepare for exams is to look after all your needs”.

So here are their (shortened)* six top tips for exam success:

1. Create three zones: Namely the Study zone, the Relaxation zone and the Sleep zone
  2. Revision time table: Make time for study but also for relaxation and sleep
  3. Your ‘to do list’: Only include a maximum of 7 items per day.
  4. Take regular breaks: For every 2 hours spent studying, you should take a break of about 20 minutes. It’s also important to take an extended break of around 3 or 4 hours each day to really ‘switch off’ from studying.
  5. Diet and exercise: Eating healthy food and drinking at regular intervals throughout the day will maintain your energy levels and concentration. Exercising regularly will also release adrenalin, which helps to clear your mind and reduce stress.
  6. Sleep: Always aim to get at least 6 hours of sleep everynight.

*See full list of advice on the university’s website.

Exam periods can be stressful and it’s understandable for students to feel the pressure. The university reminds students that they can always get support during exams pressure from the Student Counselling and Mental Health Service. Sessions include one-to-one meetings, group sessions and workshops which are available throughout the year.

Of course, you probably already know… But Buzzfeed is also concerned about your well being and here are some of fun list they have about coping with exams (and yes they are complete with gifs!)

You know, if you need more advice *cough* procrastination *cough* there’s the actually helpful 23 Legit Study Tips According to Science; the somewhat questionable is-this-really-helpful 16 Simple Studying Hacks To Help You Ace Your Next Exam; you can boost up your exam confidence by taking this quiz; and then, get a taste of what to expect when it’s all over from this What Is It Really Like To Finish Exams list.

You deserved that break! Now go back to your studies. All the best of luck from your City London HerCampus team. 

Zay Arguelles

City London

My name is Zay Arguelles and I trudge upon life with a profound love for reading. I’m a 20-year-old Journalism undergrad at City University London. Orginally born in the Philippines, which is an archipelago in the Southeast Asia right on the fringes of the Pacific Ocean, I now find myself grasping for stars and dreams in London. I am currently the Deputy Editor of City Uni's student radio, City OnAir and you can check out my blogs on my webiste at www.zay-arguelles.comOnline Presence:Blog - Where Words FlyBook Blog - Strictly About BooksYouTube - Zay’s Channel | Where Words FlyTwitter - @zay_arguellesTumblr - wherewordsfly
Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/