Welcoming Zeta Tau Alpha to the University of Cincinnati

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

If you haven’t already heard, this fall semester of 2018, there is a new sorority coming to campus! And if you have heard—get ready to hear more. Zeta Tau Alpha was selected last spring by the Panhellenic Council to expand at the University of Cincinnati. However, this is not ZTA’s first appearance on campus. The Alpha Eta Chapter of ZTA was founded at the University of Cincinnati in 1921. Unfortunately, in 1991, the chapter had to close due to declining membership. But now they are back and ready to recruit! Being a new sorority means they go through a different process than formal recruitment. Here are some common questions, answered:

Her Campus University of Cincinnati: Thank you for taking the time to answer a few questions about being a new sorority on campus! First things first, what does colonizing a sorority mean?

Zeta Tau Alpha: Being a founding sister of Zeta Tau Alpha is a very special opportunity. Our charter members at UC will have the opportunity to create their own traditions of sisterhood, leadership, service and academics.

HCUC: How is the recruitment process different than formal or informal recruitment?

ZTA: There are only two requirements to sign up for ZTA’s recruitment process.

• The first requirement is to sign up for an info view, which is a 20-minute one-on-one session with a ZTA alumna. Interested women can sign up for an info view by visiting one of our Leadership Consultants on campus.

• The second requirement is to attend at least one of our open house events.

• Our Experience ZTA Open House will be Wednesday, Sept. 26, at Nippert Stadium. Attendees can choose from two event times to accommodate schedules: 7 p.m. or 8 p.m.

• Our Think Pink. Think Zeta.® Open House will be Thursday, Sept. 27, at the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden. Attendees can, again, choose from two event times to accommodate schedules: 7 p.m. or 8 p.m.

HCUC: How many women are you looking to recruit in the new member class? Do you have a target or a limit?

ZTA: We are looking to be around the same size as the other Panhellenic sororities at UC. Panhellenic median chapter size is currently 159 members.

HCUC: Are upperclassmen welcome to join recruitment? Or are you looking for younger potential new members?

ZTA: ZTA is looking for women of all class years—from first-year to fifth-year students—to sign up for our recruitment process and form our chapter!

HCUC: Why should women join Zeta Tau Alpha?

ZTA: For nearly 120 years, Zeta Tau Alpha has built strong, confident, responsible leaders. ZTA is made up of purpose-driven women who “Seek the Noblest” in all endeavors while “remembering always that the foundation precept of Zeta Tau Alpha was Love, the greatest of all things.” Each of our sisters had her own individual reason for becoming a Zeta, but all our members joined ZTA to surround themselves with women who share the same values and create a home away from home while in college. ZTA’s Alpha Eta Chapter was founded at the University of Cincinnati in 1921. Our chapter has a rich legacy with 97 years of history, including a ZTA National President from our UC chapter. Our founding members will get to honor that tradition while having the chance to create their own traditions and shape the course of ZTA at UC in 2018.

For more information about ZTA coming to UC, including upcoming events, visit joinZTA.com/UCZTA.

Caroline Currie

Cincinnati '19

Caroline Currie is a fourth-year student at the University of Cincinnati working towards a Liberal Arts degree in Anthropology, Electronic Media, and Professional Writing. When she’s not watching hours of cuddly cow videos, she’s eating pints of vegan ice cream and reading piles of nonfiction psychology books. She has a passion for uplifting and empowering women on campus by sharing their stories for others to learn from or be inspired by! 
Karina Baffa

Cincinnati '19

.