Ultimate Survival Guide for Making it Through Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Can you believe Christmas is almost here? The music has begun to play, trees have been put up and decorated, and twinkling lights have appeared on every light post in town. We have only a few short days left until we finally reach that beautiful, winter break freedom. However, there is one thing that stands in our way: FINALS.

It is safe to say that finals week is not an enjoyable time for anyone. So many exams to study for in such a small amount of time, books and papers scattered all around your bedroom—simply said, most our lives become a hot mess during finals week.

Have no fear, though! I am here to give you some suggestions and ideas to help you survive exams. Here is the ultimate finals week survival kit:

1.  A Suitable Study Area

In order to be productive and get a good amount of studying done, it’s important to have a designated area for you to get your work done. I know how tempting it is to crawl into bed and get under those warm covers while you study, but I guarantee the only thing you will be studying there is the inside of your eyelids. Your best option is a desk or the kitchen table; you’ll have lots of room to spread out your notes and make sure you have plenty of light as well.

2. Snacks

Now when I say snacks, I mean healthy AND junk food. I prefer the combination so you have a nice balance. I would recommend a nice, juicy apple with some peanut butter on the side. This healthy snack will give you lots of energy and protein to stay awake and study. And if you don’t like that, perhaps try some cheese and crackers—also a good source of energy and protein!

When it comes to junk food, you can’t go wrong with some chocolate chip cookies or brownies. They both smell amazing and taste even better—perfect comfort food. Maybe grab a bag of chips, candy, or a carton of ice cream… just make that stomach doesn’t go hungry!

3. Comfy Clothes

It’s one of the worst feelings when you aren’t comfortable while doing your homework or studying. That cute pair of jeans you wore all day is perfect for walking around campus, but not studying. A big sweatshirt, yoga pants or sweatpants, and fuzzy socks—doesn’t that sound like heaven?

4. Office Supplies

It is important to have all the necessary supplies while studying for exams. You will need lots of paper, pens or pencils, sticky notes, highlighters… the list could go on forever.  Another helpful item to have for studying is note cards. You can easily make flash cards and quiz yourself with these, plus you are also studying the material while making the flash cards! Be sure you have a wide variety just in case!

5. Study Music Playlist

Some people love to listen to music while they study or do homework, while others don’t, so this suggestion is optional. If you do choose to listen to music while studying, try listening to classical music. Studies say that listening to composers like Bach or Debussy while studying improves your ability to retain information. This type of music can easily add that background music effect and make studying a little more entertaining!

6. Take Breaks

One of the most important things to do while studying is to take breaks often. Now, I don’t mean take a study break every five minutes and go watch Netflix for an hour—that would be BAD. Try taking breaks after every 45 minutes to an hour of studying. That way, you can easily get a good amount of studying in before you give your brain a little rest. This is one of the most important aspects of studying, as research shows that you retain less when studying for hours on end with no breaks. I would say a good amount of time for a study break is about 15 to 20 minutes. In that time, you can easily grab something to eat or drink, check your email, or chat with a roommate. However, try to stay away from social media! If you check it once, we all know how easily that can lead to many, MANY hours of time wasted.

Finals week may come off as scary to many, but if you combine hard work with these tips, nothing can stop you from get those A’s you deserve! Just remember to relax and believe in yourself. And before you know it, winter break will be here!

Her Campus Cincinnati wishes you the best of luck during finals week!

What are some of your favorite #FinalsWeekSurvivalTips? Share with us in the comments below!

Morgan is a third year at the University of Cincinnati, majoring in Magazine Journalism with a minor in Communication.  From the start, she has always loved to read and write but now being able to do it at UC means so much more.  She aspires to work in editing or publishing one day and being an editor of HerCampus Cincinnati is definitely helping her pursue those lifelong dreams!  "Dwell in Possibility." -Emily Dickinson