UC Makes New Year’s Resolutions Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

It’s that time of the month where the gym is once again overcrowded due to the popular resolution of adapting a healthier lifestyle.

After overeating on the holidays, everyone is ready to shed that excess holiday weight. Luckily, the UC Campus Recreation Center and many local restaurants make this goal obtainable. In years past, the month of January is when the rec center reaches one of its highest attendance records and Assistant Director of Member Services, Emilie Flemming, believes this year will be no different.

“Generally, our spikes are around the beginning of semesters. We tend to decrease around the holidays (November and December) and increase in both January and February compared to those months,” said Flemming.

Going to the rec center is more than just lifting weights and running on the treadmill. Not that there is anything wrong with that! The Rec Center offers tons of different classes bound to fit one of your needs. If you prefer a more relaxed environment and want to build strength, consider yoga. However, if you are like me and prefer something more active, cycling and piloxing are great ways to burn those calories!

Not to mention, most classes have no additional fees!

“This is a time to set goals and kick off the start of either the academic or calendar year with renewed purpose and excitement,” said Emily Piercey, Associate Director of Membership and Operations.

Working out is a great way to start the New Year, as well as eating healthy. There are many low calorie and delicious food options right on campus!

“My favorite place to eat on campus is Quick Mick’s. It’s fast, easy, and really good,” said sophomore-nursing student Andie Taney.

Quick Micks is one of the UC food establishments that offer an array of healthy options. Places like Market Pointe and Center Court now display nutrition information with each meal that is served there. This is a great way to become more aware of what we are putting into our bodies. If you do not have a meal plan, there are still many viable options. For example, Subway on Main Street offers a variety of six inch sandwiches less than 300 calories for $3.75. Chick-fil-A also offers the grilled chicken sandwich for $4.39. It has 320 calories and six grams of carbohydrates. Eating healthy and working out go hand in hand. Start now and create healthy habits for life! 

Hello! I am a current sophomore here at The University of Cincinnati where I am pursuing my Bachelor's Degree in journalism with an e-media minor. I am also planning on getting a PR certificate as well. When I'm not writing or watching the news (I know, I'm a grandma) you can find me eating a burger or drinking a nice glass of Kroger chocolate milk.