The Reality of Being a Dog Owner and Full Time Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Thinking about getting a dog? Here is what I have to say about that.

I am asked this question a lot, so I figured I would just write an article and refer everybody to it when they see me walking my dog and say “OMG THAT’S A CUTE DOG, I WANT ONE!”

Having a dog in college is great. It is an easy stress reliever, you are never alone, and no matter what you did that day, it is nice knowing that your dog will love you and never judge you.

However, having a dog is much more than nightly cuddles, and a cup of food a day. It is a commitment that changes your life. Since I adopted my Husky/Eskimo mix, my life has been turned upside down. Do not get me wrong, I love him, but there are days where I am either jam-packed with things to do or days where I am so exhausted that I do not want to leave my bed. Unfortunately, when you have a dog you cannot be selfish. That life is relying on you to come home and feed him, give him love, and walk him. I absolutely LOVE my dog to pieces. He is my life and I am obsessed. Do I recommend getting a dog? Only if you think you can give your dog the time of day it needs, and provide unselfish love.

Pros of owning a dog:

1. You will make friends when walking your dog-everybody loves dogs.
  2. They provide an immense amount of love and comfort when you have a bad day.
  3. It is rewarding when your dog does a cool trick or listens to you. It is like a “Hey! I taught him how to do that!”
  4. They make other people happy.
  5. Proven stress reliever.
  6. Having them greet you every time you walk through the door.
  7. Never having food crumbs on the floor
  8. Instant conversation topic
  9. Gives you things to do, such as dog parks, training, walking or running, and socializing
  10. Sense of security, that they are always watching out for you

Cons of owning a dog: 

1. Expensive! This means grooming, food or treats, vet bills, insurance (which is optional but recommended), toys, and replacing ruined objects (if the dog likes to get into things it shouldn’t). 
  2. Constantly have to keep up with their health through vet visits and brushing their hair or teeth.
  3. Walking in the Cold; yes your dog still has to pee, even when it is below 0 degrees!
  4. You unfortunately can’t take them everywhere.
  5. Constant Training is needed.
  6. Time-Consuming: refer to number 3. Dogs need walks and need to exert their energy. You can’t leave them alone for a day
  7. You need a consistent schedule. I have noticed that my dog has adapted to my schedule. He behaves better when I follow that schedule so he knows when I will be home, when he gets to walk, and fed, any changes to this schedule may cause mayhem.
  8. Can be messy, especially depending on breed. This includes slobber or lots of shedding hair.
  9. Having a dog not only affects your life, but the people around you. There will be days where you will have to rely on those who live with you or family members. That is ok, totally normal, but it is crucial that they are okay with it, and there is always a backup plan.
  10. You feel guilty every time you do leave them alone and you miss their cute, smushy face when you are away.

Sidenote: Huskies are so f*ck*n adorable and cool, but they can be a pain in the ass if not trained properly. Don’t get a breed because they are cute, get a breed or even adopt a dog at the shelter that you know you can handle. Size does matter in this case! The bigger the dog, the more food it will eat, and space it will take up. The furrier, the more grooming it needs. While they are only a part of your life, you are their entire life.

Images are Courtesy of Megan Horrall

Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.