Five Things to Brighten Up Your Life During the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Winter is here, which means that it’s cold most of the time and the overall mood is gloomy. So, in order to help you out of the winter blues, here are five things to brighten up your life!

1. Hang some fairy lights.

They add a warm glow to any room you’re in, adding the right amount of light without being too dim or too bright.

2. Change your phone screen to something bright.

I just did this earlier today, and I already feel so much happier when I look at my phone! Before, my phone screen had been dark, and it took me a long time to realize that I could just change that one tiny detail and add so much brightness to my life! So, you can change your phone screen to a bright color or a floral pattern and be happy whenever you look at your phone!

3. If you can, wear bright clothes.

This one might be a little harder if all of your sweatshirts and comfortable clothes are in dark shades, but even brightening up your wardrobe with a colorful sweater or sweatshirt.

4. Limit your time on social media.

Whenever you have a free second, instead of reaching for your phone and checking Instagram or Twitter, do something else! Watch a TV show or movie, hang out with your friends – do something that isn’t staring at a tiny screen for long periods of time. Also, according to Psychology Today, going on your phone before you go to sleep reduces your chances of being able to fall asleep, as well as a few other things. You won’t believe the difference between getting a good night’s sleep and not! It can definitely brighten up your life.

5. Time-manage your homework so you aren’t scrambling to get it all done.

Stress isn’t good for anyone, and it definitely won’t make you feel happy during this somewhat-gloomy time. So, if you have a break in your day, try to plan ahead when to get your homework done, or anything else you need to do, really.

Hailey Semchee

Cincinnati '22

Hailey Semchee is a third-year English/Rhetoric and Professional Writing major at the University of Cincinnati. She loves being creative in any way possible as well as traveling, watching movies, or drinking a lot of tea. You can follow her on instagram @haileysemchee.
Karina Baffa

Cincinnati '19

.