Firekid: Must Listen to Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Have you ever heard an album you can listen to on repeat? Maybe it’s your favorite band, feel good music, your dance jams or your mellow jams; Firekid covers all of those things in his debut album. His combination of different genres with new and old sounds do not disappoint, and will leave you listening to his songs over and over again. Dillion Hodges, a.k.a Firekid, grew up in Alabama listening to a lot of country and bluegrass before discovering more pop and electronica music in his college years. After a move to Nashville, he released his self-titled debut album on September 25.

At my very first listen, I instantly thought I wasn’t going to be into it. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to connect but I very quickly changed my mind.  Personally as a fan of just about all genres of music, ranging all the way from country to R&B to folk to rap, I became very intrigued in how each song is rooted in traditional Americana and country but intertwines original twists of jazz and hip hop. Firekid is a total of 11 songs covering love, loss, hope and faith; however each and every track give you the good feels with their catchy melodies and clever lyrics.

One of his first singles “Magic Mountain” is a must listen to, and you can listen to it below. This one leans a little more towards the country and folk genre but is still a satisfying to those pop and R&B fans. It incorporates heavy beats that may give you the urge to dance. But for those who do love more of the countryside, “Die For Alabama” is the next track to try out. Along the same lines of “Sweet Home Alabama”, Hodges gives a shout out to the state and traditions that raised him. As another suggestion, “Movin On” is a great song for those swayers and hand clappers out there.

The track “Gospel” is one for those more interested in R&B, and is one of the ones that really give you a taste of Hodges’ mesmerizing voice. “Statues” is another good listen for a more modern vibe, heavily based in the pop genre. This one also showcases those clever lyrics I mentioned before, “Tears in the mud / Dried by the sun / That’s how you turned to stone.”

As for my personal favorite, “Boomerang” is a softer sound on this album and definitely more heartfelt. I found myself listening to this on repeat while doing homework. The mellow vibes with Hodges’ beautiful voice is the perfect combination for a sweet and soothing feel. Although the song is mainly about love and loosing someone you love, the lyrics are really what make this love song stand out.  The song opens with, “I found a girl with emerald eyes / while looking for the open sky / just a glimpse of paradise, the only good I’ve seen in life,” and continues with the chorus “in my dreams / back to me / boomerang.”  When just the lyrics of a song make you instantly think of someone, you know it’s a good one. Take a listen for yourself:

I would recommend Firekid to just about anyone to at least give the whole album a try. The melding of different genres and mix of old sounds to modern make it near to impossible for someone to not find one new song, if not more, to add on their iTunes.

Fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati, majoring in magazine journalism and minoring in fashion studies in the DAAP program. Enthusiast of green tea, bunnies, and anything black & gold. Aspiring to have a future in the fashion journalism world.