Culture > Digital

An Interview with a Percy Jackson Expert: An Honest Review of the New Miniseries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Rick Riordan’s beloved young adult series, featuring the demigod Percy Jackson, has always been a prominent narrative in pop culture since it hit the shelves. However, with success as widespread as “Percy Jackson & the Olympians,” the desire for spinoffs and adaptations naturally follows.

Recently, Disney+ announced their own rendition of Riordan’s novels, with the author himself serving as a producer on the show. The question remains: Will this miniseries suffer the same fate as its predecessor movies starring Logan Lerman, or will Disney finally break the cycle of failed Percy Jackson adaptations? Today, I aim to find the answer by interviewing the biggest Percy Jackson fan I know, Allison Daffron. Allison has not only read all the books, including the sister series “The Heroes of Olympus,” but has also seen the movies and the new Disney+ series. She is the best candidate to give a thoughtful review about a series she grew up with.

Gracie: Was the series better than the films that came before it?

Allison Daffron: The series was far better than the films. I think that’s something all Percy Jackson fans can agree on. The movies were not book-accurate by any means. For casual viewers who just happened upon the movies, I’m sure the experience was enjoyable. However, for fans of the books, they were a disappointment. The films seemed more focused on capitalizing on the popularity of “Percy Jackson & the Olympians” to turn a profit.

Gracie: What problems did you have with the series (writing, actors, pacing, CGI, etc.)?

Allison Daffron: The characters in the series often figure out plot points too quickly in a way that feels inorganic. A great example of this is the Lotus Casino. In the book, Percy, Grover, and Annabeth spend days inside the casino before they realize that it’s a trap. The series is littered with these quick explanations that effectively lower all stakes. The other major issue is how rushed the storyline becomes. I believe this is simply due to the limited episodes, but there are a lot of good moments that get left out.

Gracie: What did you like about the series?

Allison Daffron: I enjoyed the series overall. I found myself really looking forward to watching each episode as they came out. I am the type of person who waits until all episodes are available to stream before I watch a show; however, I was hooked from the first two episodes.

Gracie: Was it a success to have actual children playing teenagers?

Allison Daffron: Not only was it successful, but it was also vital that they cast actual children. It’s easy to forget that these are kids going on quests, fighting monsters, and saving the world, but this is a pivotal part of the story. They are kids, and their age and resilience are what make them compelling characters. “Percy Jackson & the Olympians,” whether in the books or the TV series, is supposed to teach kids that they can do anything, that they can be heroes in their own lives. Casting the characters as teenagers, as the movie did, completely misses this message.

Gracie: Which character was depicted the best in the series, whether with the writing or their actor?

Allison Daffron: I think all the actors were phenomenal. If I had to pick just one, I would say that Walker Scobell depicted Percy Jackson perfectly. I also must give props to Leah Jefferies and Aryan Simhadri for their roles as Annabeth and Grover, respectively. I think a lot of people were upset with the casting for the series because they wanted the characters to look exactly like they were described in the books. This mindset undermines the potential of the series. Why should what the actors look like hold more weight than their ability to depict the characters?

Gracie: What would you rate the series out of 5 stars?

Allison Daffron: I would give the series a solid 4 stars. I believe it has a lot of potential, and I’m excited to see the next season.

Gracie: Would you recommend the series to people who have and have not read the books?

Allison Daffron: I would recommend the series to someone who has not read the books. I think that the series does a great job of establishing itself without the books. The storyline is easy to follow, and no knowledge of the books is required to understand the plot or the characters.

Gracie Dillon

Cincinnati '27

Hi, my name is Gracie and I am a freshman at the University of Cincinnati! I am double-majoring in Journalism and English. In my free time I can be found freelance writing, reading a new book, playing video games, working at a coffee shop, or hanging out with my friends. I am excited for this new opportunity to be published on a larger scale :)