WQED iQ: smartparent Year in Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

In 2013, we got the wildly exciting opportunity to work with WQED to promote their new show, iQ: smartparent. The series is packed with expert advice for raising kids in the digital age. Whether you’re a parent, sibling, babysitter, camp counselor or student teacher, iQ: smartparent provides the knowledge you need to help children approach media with a positive attitude and a strong sense of self.

If you missed any of the iQ: smartparent episodes (or just want to watch them again), you can catch an iQ: smartparent Marathon on WQED’s Neighborhood Channel all through the month of January. If you’ve got cable, the Neighborhood Channel runs on Comcast 201, FIOS 473 and Armstrong 97/417. Don’t have a TV? You can still watch all of the episodes online at WQED’s iQ: smartparent website.

Here, check out all of the content we created with WQED in 2013.

Interview with Jennifer Kraus, Manager of iQ: smartparent at WQED

“We found that many local parents don’t feel confident finding high-quality digital media for their children,” says Kraus. “PBS is the #1 trusted source of media for children in the nation and WQED, as the country’s first public media station, has resources and techniques that can help parents navigate through our technology- and media-saturated environment.”

Fantastically Fit: 10 Chatham Students and Alumni Share Their Wonderful Workouts

To celebrate the “Health, Wellness and Technology” episode, we asked Chatham students to share their favorite ways to stay fit.

Living Well in College: An Interview with Aimee Woods, Founder of Embody Natural Health

“My personal advice for college students is to create good health habits now and enjoy the time doing so,” says Woods. “Good health is in no way about depriving yourself of certain food groups or fad diets.  It is about creating a way of life that allows you to be your best self and have fun.”

Childhood Media Memories: HC Chatham Writer Shannon Ward

What did Shannon Ward watch as a kid? Pokémon, The Lion King and Watership Down.

Bridging Tech to Teachers and Parents: An Interview with Common Sense Media’s Jennifer Ehehalt

“We have to think of technology as a device,” Jennifer Ehehalt says. “It’s just a tool. It’s one way to bring in resources to the classroom…. The important thing is that we use them correctly.”

Childhood Media Memories: An Interview with Blog Section Editor and Entertainment Writer Onastasia Youssef

Onastasia Youssef grew up on Scooby-Doo, American Dragon: Jake Long, and Britney Spears.

Dr. G: An Interview with iQ: smartparent Host Deborah Gilboa, MD

iQ: smartparent is an opportunity for adults to think about how the kids in their lives are using technology and how we can encourage them not to avoid technology, but use technology to be savvy and healthy,” says Gilboa.

Chatham Women’s Role Models

For the “Girls Growing Up with Media” episode, we asked Chatham students to share the female public figures who inspire them.

HC Chatham Answers: What’s Your Favorite Social Media Network?

Before the premiere of the “Like, Follow, Share” episode, we asked HC Chatham team members to tell us which social media networks they use the most.

College Students’ Social Media Advice for Middle Schoolers

To finish off our coverage, we asked Chatham students to share their best social media advice for middle schoolers.

Thanks for reading, liking and commenting on our iQ: smartparent content! We’ve had a blast discussing digital media with you, and we hope you’ll stay tuned to WQED for all of their extraordinary programming.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.