College Students’ Social Media Advice for Middle Schoolers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

The newest episode of iQ: smartparent, “Like, Follow, Share”, gives caregivers, student teachers, camp counselors and babysitters the tools they need to keep kids safe online.

As college students, we’ve picked up some tips from experience. Here, HC Chatham team members give their best advice to middle school girls just starting their journey with social media.

Don’t add anyone you don’t know in real life. Sometimes that’s how bad things occur.”

– Amy Chau, Social Media Director

Always be polite and respectful – just because you can’t see the other person’s face, remember that there is always another human being involved.
Also keep in mind that because you can’t see the other person face-to-face, you should be careful with what information you share! You never know who might see your profile.”

– Onastasia Youssef, Blog Section Editor/Entertainment Writer

“There is so much advice I would want to give to a young girl on social media. First of which being that teachers and family members have social media. There’s a reason its discussed as global connections. Everyone has a Facebook, including people that are going to matter, so don’t post anything – pictures, posts, videos – that you wouldn’t show your ultra conservative grandmother. In middle school you’re probably not thinking of your career or college, but employers and universities look at what you post. You don’t want to lose your dream job over inappropriate pictures or posts full of profanity that could affect your getting a scholarship.

“Second off, I know social media is about keeping people updated with each other’s lives, but not everything is post-worthy. No one cares that you lost a quarter in the vending machine. Sorry, they just don’t.

“The biggest piece of advice I have for anyone of social media is to not start a ‘Facebook war’. Facebook is a fun way of keeping in touch with people you like, it’s not a place to bully someone you dislike. Create privacy settings, protect yourself, and don’t fall into the trap of feeling the need to fight, swear at, or post degrading images of someone you dislike on social media.

– Kaitlin Tomko, Writer

“A really good rule of thumb about social media is to never post anything that you wouldn’t want a future employer to see. It’s all well and good to have fun and express yourself, but if you post pictures of yourself in, let’s say, ‘unprofessional’ situations and positions, you can really hurt yourself down the line. Also, never post something when you’re too upset to realize the consequences. For example, if you’re angry with someone, approach them in person. Don’t post nasty things on Facebook for everyone to see.”

– Shannon Ward, Writer

“I would recommend a middle school girl not join any social network where she does not belong. There is time for everything, and a 13-year-old should not be in networks like Facebook or Twitter at this age.”

– Paula Cardona, Writer

“Realize that what you put onto the internet never goes away. Somebody somewhere five years from now can pull up your ‘deleted’ Facebook profile and view it. There have been legitimate cases made against employees by employers because they discovered risqué photographs from years ago. It’s a real thing that happens; beware!”

– Catherine Giles, Sustainability Writer

Have a tip for middle school students on social media? Share it in the comments!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.