Living Well in College: An Interview with Aimee Woods, Founder of Embody Natural Health

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

At first, staying healthy in college seems like a breeze. Free access to the Athletic & Fitness Center, weekly yoga classes, and plenty of nutritious dining hall entrées provide all of the tools necessary to live well. Unfortunately, somewhere between first year orientation and finals week, routines disappear. We spoke with Aimee Woods CHHC, AADP, a Board Certified Holistic Health Coach and Founder of Embody Natural Health, to get advice on sustaining a healthy lifestyle in college.

HC Chatham: What interested you in health coaching? Why did you start your business, Embody Natural Health?

Aimee Woods: I was interested in nutrition when I began eating better, meaning more whole foods and less processed foods. I felt better.  I didn’t feel tired and sluggish, my mind was more clear.  I wanted others to find this out, too. I wanted to help them through this ongoing process, which is why I became a health coach.  I started my health coaching business and paired it with an organic juice + smoothie bar.  I learned from my clients that with access to more “convenient” health options they are more inclined to follow through with good health.

Your business focuses on a “holistic” approach to health. What does this mean for a college woman?

A holistic approach to health is addressing the whole, not just the food you eat and exercise.  There are many factors that play a role in health—stress, relationships, spirituality, career, environment, workload etc.  All people, especially college women, can benefit from this approach. All of these areas need to be thought about, and either one takes steps to improve them or accepts them as they are.  Worry and stress play one of the biggest roles in a person’s health.

From their first days on campus, college students have easy access to just about every kind of food imaginable. What advice do you have for them as they face the challenge of designing their own meals?

As a college student one often has a busy schedule with irregular sleep patterns.  The food you eat can help your body adjust to these changes.  Although everyone is different and food affects each person in a different way, there are two very simple ways to help your body and your mind.  I wish I could suggest something very different and exciting, but it is very basic.  Drink clean water and eat clean whole foods.  I think often people want a different magic answer but it seems this is the magic answer.  Eat minimal processed foods, organic when possible.  People often make convenience their reason for not eating well.  It’s out there: people need to design their life to make clean eating a priority.  It should be, It’s your body and you need it every day to provide you life.  When you don’t have good health it makes everyday tasks that much more difficult. Why would you want to create that for yourself?

A schedule packed with homework, jobs and parties can put exercise on the backburner. What tips do you have to help students establish an active lifestyle?

To establish an active lifestyle, a student needs to make it a priority in their schedule.  Everyone in life is busy and there are ways to add a few mini bursts of exercise or activity even on the busiest days.  Jog in place for 1 minute 5 times a day, do 20 jumping jacks before every meal. These little bursts add up to a lot by then end of the week.  Much more than doing nothing!

For many students, college will be the first time in years that they’re not formally involved with an athletic program. What advice do you have for young women making that transition?

Although a student may not be formally engaged in athletics anymore there are many casual sports team groups for adults. This is a great way to continue something that is active and fun as well as meet new people with similar interests.  So many benefits.

You mentioned that stress plays a significant role in overall health. How can students be proactive to keep their worries to a minimum?

A few ways to keep from getting overly stressed goes back to eating clean whole foods and being active.  When a person is inactive and eating processed foods this in itself creates stress in the body.  Students have enough external stress that sometimes can’t be controlled. However, how we treat our own bodies is one thing we do have control over.  Simple breathing exercises are also helpful. Just staying still for a minute, closing your eyes and breathing deeply in and out is a helpful signal to a person’s body to release stress.   Don’t have time for this?  Yes you do. Breathe deeply while waiting in line at a store, or even while going to the bathroom.  We all do that.

Suppose a student reaches the middle of the semester and isn’t as healthy as they hoped they would be. Any tips for jumpstarting motivation to get back on track?

A great way to get back on track to health is simply to make a plan.  As a health coach, many clients come to me seeking help in achieving their health goals.  They often have a goal in mind but don’t know the best steps in getting there.  Seeking help is okay. People often try to take on too much and get overwhelmed and then give up.  Find someone you can trust and feel good to be around to share your goals and the steps you are going to get there.  Then ask that person if you can check in with them at certain points to help keep you on track.  If you aren’t sure of the steps, then it’s important to seek out a person who can help you make a plan.  You will reach your goals in a much more efficient way doing this.

Do you have any other advice for college students, especially first years?

My personal advice for college students is to create good health habits now and enjoy the time doing so.  Good health is in no way about depriving yourself of certain food groups or fad diets.  It is about creating a way of life that allows you to be your best self and have fun. For each person this is different, so it is up to an individual to empower themselves to succeed.  This doesn’t mean to do it alone, quite the opposite: find the resources and people that support and encourage you to feel your best.  When you feel your best you also look your best.

Would you like some extra help getting healthy? Embody Natural Health is located in Lawrenceville with a second location in Wexford on the way. Visit their website for more information on their services. You can also like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter.

Thank you to Aimee Woods for the wonderful interview! Thank you also to Anne Schlicht of the Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship for recommending Ms. Woods. 

Photo courtesy of Aimee Woods.

Through December 2013, HC Chatham is partnering with WQED to promote the iQ: smartparent series. Stay tuned for more interviews, giveaways, and behind-the-scenes excitement!

Want more info on eating well? Watch the premiere of the iQ: smartparent “Health, Wellness and Technology” episode June 20 from 8pm to 9pm on WQED! If you tune in, we’d love for you to join our Twitter party!

To stay up-to-date on iQ: smartparent news, like the WQED Edu Facebook page and visit wqed.org/smartparent to sign up for the newsletter.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.