sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Have An Amazing Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

The fourth week of classes has just passed, and no matter what year you are in, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed or discouraged. Personally, I just had my first exam in Genetics, and now I’m waiting for my grade. While I can dwell on that exam, I have already turned it in and hopefully, my studying beforehand was enough.  I can’t change what has already happened this semester, but I can change what happens next.

However, this is easier said than done. There have been times I wanted to just give up (and these times still happen now from time to time), and that’s okay to admit. I think many students (if not all), have felt this way at one point or another during their time in college. Sometimes you are in a class that makes you so confused and is harder than anything you have ever taken before; sometimes your personal life takes over and it is hard to focus on school. What is most important is knowing where and who to go to for help.

When I have struggled in semesters before, I have had consistent resources that I have used. I love Chatham because we are such a small school, so I am always able to go to professors to ask for help or clarification of material that I just cannot understand on my own.

We also have a lot of resources through the PACE Center. I have visited SI sessions many times, and I now work as a tutor myself. If you are struggling, please know that the PACE Center is there for you, either with an SI for your course, or a tutor ready to help. You can find more information here: https://chatham.mywconline.com/

I have also found that studying with other students, especially friends, can really help me understand the course better and stay on track. I feel much worse when I don’t stay up with coursework if I have other people relying on me to discuss topics with them. Also, sometimes taking a few hours to spend time with friends or watch your favorite show is enough to keep you motivated. Taking breaks sometimes may seem like you are wasting time, but in reality, they are necessary to refresh your brain and make you more productive when you get back to work.

If something more personal is getting in the way, it might be useful to visit Counseling Services, even just to get some resources. You can find more information about Counseling Services, as well as various crisis hotlines and centers here: https://www.chatham.edu/campuslife/osa/counseling/  

Practicing mindfulness can help ease the stress, or at least help you cope with it, and there are events on campus as well as resources online to help you be mindful regularly.

Make sure self-care is part of your regular routine in college because taking care of yourself is just as important as completely your homework. Your health and wellbeing are more important than grades will ever be. You matter, and you can do this. Good luck!

Jessica Keller is a senior biochemistry major at Chatham University minoring in psychology and music. She is a culture writer for The Chatham Post. This summer, she started as a columnist for Queer PGH. Her poetry and prose have been featured in multiple editions of Chatham's Minor Bird literary magazine.