Where do the Freshman 15 (Secretly) Hide?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

To a college student, there are few things scarier than college’s biggest bully: the Freshman 15. Sometimes it takes the form of an obvious unhealthy choice, like a brownie or a slice of cake. But other times, this frightening monster hides in places you never knew existed. Here are 8 secret places the Freshman 15 hide:

Alcohol You know what they say: don’t drink your calories–and alcohol is actually really high in calories! Getting drunk may seem fun in the moment, but hundreds and hundreds of calories (and possibly a really bad hangover) later, was it really worth it? The Freshman 15 seem to think so.

Pizza Grease Recently, studies have found that simply blotting the grease off of your pizza will reduce a significant amount of the fat you consume, which can total up to about 40 calories! So when you have to indulge in a cheesy slice (and we all do from time to time), just remember to gently pat-dry your pizza with a napkin.

Salad Dressing Yes, salads are healthy…until you drench them with high-calorie dressing. As a matter of fact, one serving of Ranch dressing can contain over 140 calories—and here’s the big problem: you usually have more than one serving of dressing every time you eat your salad, and those calories add up fast. Skip the creamy dressing and opt for healthier, low-cal options, like olive oil. Not only does it add a little flavor, olive oil has great benefits for your skin and hair!

“Healthy” Fast Food Don’t let those green wrappers fool you. Most fast food restaurants will trick costumers into devouring “healthy and delicious” meals, only to pack on an excessive amount of calories. For example, Panera’s Chicken Cobb Salad with Avocado (and Greek/herb vinaigrette) contains about 870 calories—and that’s if you don’t get a baguette to go with it. To avoid this common mistake, make sure to look at the nutrition menu the restaurant has to offer to find the healthiest option.

Soda It’s really simple: Soda = sugar, sugar = bad, therefore, soda is bad. It’s full of calories and chances are you’re gonna have more than one glass. Skip the Dr. Pepper and order a water instead—it works wonders for your body and it’s free to order at a restaurant!

The Bags Under Your Eyes A lack of sleep slows down your metabolism, so catching those Z’s is an easy way avoid gaining those scary 15 pounds everyone warns you about your first year of college. Try to set up a routine in which you get a consistent amount of sleep (7-9 hours) every night. I know it’s easier said than done, but your body will love you in the long run!

Starbucks Oh, Starbucks. Our best friend and our worst enemy. I hate to be the one to say this, but your Pumpkin Spice Latte has been lying to you the whole time. And at 380 calories per cup (yikes!), it’s not even the highest-calorie option on the Starbucks menu. Everyone needs their cup of joe, but be careful not to go overboard on all those specialty drinks.

Fruit Smoothies What?! It can’t be! But it is. While fruit is always a healthy option, excessive amounts of fruit can actually help those Freshman 15 sneak up on you. Remember that although fruit is natural and healthy, it still has a lot of sugar. The problem with fruit smoothies is that you end up consuming more fruit than you actually need—and a lot of extra sugar your body doesn’t want.