The Secret to Longevity: A Look at the ‘Blue Zones’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

You’re probably wondering what a Blue Zone is and how learning about it can affect longevity. This article will answer all your questions and inform you of this fascinating phenomenon!

Blue Zones are area throughout the globe where communities of people tend to live extremely long lives. These little pockets tend to have the most centenarians (people who live to be 100+ years old!). Blue Zones were discovered by researcher Dan Buettner, with the support of National Geographic. This dynamic duo researched various communities and lifestyles around the globe to identify where people live the longest and healthiest lives. The results were surprising and they identified these areas as ‘Blue Zones’. So where are these mysterious locations and what can we learn from these long living thriving communities?

The 5 places that qualify as Blue Zones according to Dan Buettner and National Geographic:

1. Okinawa, Japan
  2. Barbagia region of Sardinia, Italy
  3. Seventh Day Adventists living in Loma Linda, California
  4. Nicoya, Costa Rica
  5. Ikaria, Greece

Dan Buettner and his team of researchers, anthropologists, demographers, and epidemiologists found that the people of the Blue Zones shared nine specific characteristics, which they now refer to as the Power 9®. Here are the Power 9:

1. Move Naturally: These environments encourage the people to move without thinking about it in gentle and convenient ways such as growing their own gardens and doing their own house work
  2. Purpose: Have a reason to wake up in the morning and knowing your sense of purpose can add up to seven years on your life
  3. Down Shift: Find ways of coping with stress such as taking a few moments to reflect on ancestors, praying, or taking a nap
  4. 80% Rule: Stop eating when your stomach is 80% full
  5. Plant Siant: Beans are the basis of most centarian diets!
  6. Wine @ 5: Drink alcohol moderately and regularly (1-2 glasses per day with friends and food)
  7. Belong: Have a faith-based community and attending services about once a week can add 4-14 years of life expectancy
  8. Loved Ones First: Family comes first in every way. Parents and grandparents live close by, many commit to a partner, and invest time and love into children
  9. Right Tribe: Surround yourself with people who live healthy and positive lifestyles. The Okinawans create “moais” which is a group of five friends that are committed to each other for life.

These are all things we can incorporate and integrate into our daily lives to increase our quality of life and our longevity. I think there is a lot to learn from the people of the Blue Zones and we should value the life lessons that they teach us.

Check out http://www.bluezones.com/ & the book The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner to learn more about this intriguing phenomenon and how to incorporate Blue Zone tendencies into your life!