This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

If you’ve opened up any social media site recently, you’ve likely come across #MeToo. This hashtag is meant for survivors of sexual assault or harassment to post, in efforts to raise awareness of how widespread this issue is. The subject of sexual assault is never an easy one, so here are four ideas to keep in mind while navigating #MeToo.

1) This hashtag can be triggering to those who have experience with sexual assault or harassment.

​​For many who struggle with the trauma induced by being assaulted, simply reading #MeToo and knowing the meaning behind it can spark memories and flashbacks to their own experience. While it is liberating for some survivors to openly share their experience, and it is important to support them in doing so, keep in mind that this may be a difficult time for survivors. Check in with friends and loved ones. If you have experienced sexual assault yourself, be kind to yourself. Take time to reach out and seek the support you need.

2) This movement was originally started by a black woman, Tarana Burke, ten years ago.

The creation of the Me Too movement has recently been attributed to the actress Alyssa Milano. However, the movement began ten years ago with Tarana Burke. The movement was meant to focus on underprivileged communities which lacked the most support for survivors. While every experience is valid, it is necessary to recognize and lift up survivors with less resources. Ask the important question: why did this movement only became viral following a white actress posting it?

3) Not everyone who is a survivor will or can post #MeToo.

Many survivors of sexual assault are not in a mental, emotional or physical situation in which they can be open about their experience. This is important to keep in mind so that no one’s experience is erased or invalidated. Also, for those who are survivors, you should not feel pressured into posting #MeToo. Your experience is just as real whether you do or don’t.

4) Everyone needs different things to heal

​There is no correct way to heal as a victim of sexual assault. If posting #MeToo empowers you, do it. If taking a break from social media during this time helps you, do it. Support each other in whatever way they need to take care of themselves. Seek the resources you need to be as healthy as you can.

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1(800) 656-4673

Orange County Sexual Assault Victim Services: (714) 834-4317