Miley Cyrus & Matt Peterson: An Unlikely Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Do you have a hidden talent?

I am a Party on a Bike instructor. It’s spin classes that feels like a club. Party on a Bike started to get young people excited about working out.

How did you become an instructor?

I knew I wanted to be the youngest spin instructor — it was on my bucket list. The training cost $500, so I saved up the money and paid for the training. There were 15 of us in the group, and only 2 of us got spots to be teachers. At first the studio was really skeptical because I was 18 years old. They thought it would look really weird, but they gave me a shot to have one class and I filled it up. They were really impressed. I went in and did my own thing, and I was different from the other instructors so they thought that was cool. So by the end of summer, I had 5 classes a week and they even made a new time slot for my classes.

If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?

Bora Bora! I have always wanted to go there! I want my honeymoon to be there so bad, or even just a trip. It looks so beautiful.

What are you most looking forward to at Chapman?

All the experiences and opportunities that there are here. It’s only my first few weeks at school, and I already have a radio show on Chapman Radio. There are just so many opportunities for students. I also get really inspired hearing about all the internships that other students around campus have. There’s the On Air with Ryan Seacrest Studios, and as a freshman I can apply next semester. That is something I’m definitely looking forward to.

Explain your history with Miley Cyrus.

I made this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHttH-dmZ5E&feature=youtu.be) and the reason for making it was because I had spent the whole year in student government planning this prom. I knew I couldn’t ask someone normal — I had to go out with a bang! So that’s how I decided to ask Miley. I uploaded the video to youtube and by the first night it had 10,000 views!

One person shared it, then another and another; it turned into this snowball effect, which was really cool to see. Then, the first big media to post about it was Cosmopolitan. By that Monday, I was on JohnJay & Rich radio show, which is the place where Miley and I first met in 2009. As I left that show, I got a call from one of the morning news shows. Then I started to get back to back to back phone calls. I’ll never forget Channel 3 called me and was trying to schedule a time to come interview me and I told them Channel 10 was already coming. Basically all the local news channels were fighting for my time and wanted to get to my story first. I want to go into broadcast journalism, so seeing all that was really cool. Honestly the coolest part of the whole experience was getting to talk to Ryan Seacrest. He’s my idol so getting to talk to him was so crazy. I did not think this was going to happen at all. It was really crazy. 

So what was her response?!

After I had been on all the national news things (Entertainment Tonight, CNN, ENews), Miley saw the story and tweeted me. 

Then I went to her concert in Arizona. Entertainment Tonight took me to the concert and filmed me getting ready. Miley didn’t want any cameras back stage, which I respect. She was being really genuine about it, which was so cool. When she saw the corsage and my tuxedo, she was like freaking out and saying it was too good to just happen backstage. She asked if I would be embarrassed if she sang to me that night and I was like that’s a dream come true! I had this whole thing planned out to ask her to slow dance and she made it happen without me having to even ask. So I’m backstage with Miley before the concert and we planned everything out. I would give her my jacket and I would get naked (because she is always naked and it just felt right). I watched the show from my seat and during a certain song Miley looked at me and signaled me to go backstage again. I stood there and her tour manager took me back stage. It was awesome to see everything from backstage. So, I’m backstage and she rises up out of the ground and gives a whole little speech and calls me on stage and we do a dance together and she sings “Adore You” to me. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0jHBXPeo9o&feature=youtu.be). That was the best five minutes of my life. 

Miley made this whole thing happen. That’s why I love to share my story as much as I can. She gets so much hate all the time; people don’t understand she is a character. If she was that nice all the time, people wouldn’t care. She has to have that shock factor.