Danielle Shorr: The Queen of Spoken Word

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Name: Danielle Shorr

Year: Sophomore

Major: Creative writing 

Danielle Shorr writes and performs spoken word poetry—and she has a natural talent for moving people with her words; she has competed in slam poetry and attended the International youth poetry slam Brave New Voices in 2014.

(Check her out! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KPN8XwrS5s8)

How did you start doing what you do?

I got into writing in high school and ended up moving to LA after I graduated to slam for the youth team. Being a part of that team was one of the coolest experiences I’ve had and since then, I’ve been pursuing poetry on my own. I am a Los Angeles youth poet ambassador and am currently working on my first book of poetry.

What do you love about it?

I can’t imagine a life without poetry, spoken word, and what has easily become my biggest passion. The coolest part is having my work read by people from around the world who tell me they can relate to my stories and my writing. After my poetry was featured in a Thought Catalog that went viral, I’ve received countless of messages from strangers thanking me for putting words to what they’ve been feeling. There’s nothing more rewarding than that.

Not only does Danielle have a solid grip on turning words into art, but she makes a difference in the worlds of other people…whether she intends to or not! In fact, Danielle is bringing her gift to Orange, recently starting Chapman’s first slam poetry club with her friend Amanda Ball. 

“We’re excited to get things going…we meet every Tuesday at 9 so come by and check it out!”

So if you ever see this celebrity on campus, be sure to get an autograph…or at least a personalized haiku!

To learn more about Danielle, visit: Danielleshorr.com or Facebook.com/danielleshorrpoetry