bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons To Go Vegan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

It seems like every new day, there is a new diet. However, becoming a healthier person should not mean going on a diet, it should mean adapting a new lifestyle. While many people go on a diet to loose weight, there are plenty of better reasons to adapt a healthier lifestyle, such as becoming a vegan. A vegan is a person who does not eat or use products made from an animal. Often a daunting lifestyle, veganism is actually easier to adapt to than you think. Here are five reasons you should become a vegan:

1. Animal Cruelity: One of the main reasons people go vegan is due to animal cruelity. The act of killing and eating an animal is inhumane to many people, especially those who have an emotional attachment to animals. Many documentaries and books expose the industry that puts meat on millions of people’s plates a day through cruel and unusual punishments.

2. Leaner Body: Yes, becoming a vegan will help you loose weight simply because you are not consuming processed foods and meat, which is high in saturated fat and cholesterol. However, more importantly, it will help you sculpt a leaner body and prevent you from getting scary diseases. On average, vegans are 20 pounds slimmer, and they are less likely to develop heart diseases, diabetes, or high blood pressure.

3. Eco-friendly: Eating meat does not only harm animals, it harms the earth as well. It takes tons of crops and water to raise farm animals. It takes 13 pounds of grain to produce just one pound of fresh meat. All that space can be used much more efficiently by growing plant-based foods. On top of that, eating meat is wasteful and creates a large amount of our world’s pollution. The meat industry is actually one of the biggest causes of climate change. 

4. Happier Mindset: Eating well not only makes you look good, it makes you feel good! Providing your body with nutritious foods puts you on a path to a happier and healthier mental stability. Eating meat and processed foods makes people fatigued, emotional, and irritated. 

5. It is not a fad diet: Adopting a vegan diet is not the same as adopting a regular diet used especially to loose weight. As said before, becoming a vegan is a lifestyle. As long as you do the correct research to be a healthy vegan, loosing weight and becoming a happier person does not just become a goal, it becomes a way of life.