This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I’ve always wanted bangs. Since my hair is naturally curly, though, bangs felt like too much effort for a new look. Fortunately (or maybe, unfortunately) for me, any logical argument I had against chopping my hair off finally succumbed to my urge to do something during my first few weeks of quarantine.

Even though my YouTube research of “how to cut curly bangs” left me with more doubts and concerns than anything, I was desperate. So I went for it. While I’m still not convinced that it was the best idea, the freedom I felt when taking the final snip was definitely worth it (maybe).

So, why are impromptu hair decisions so satisfying?

They make you feel in control (even if it’s just for a second)

I think it’s safe to say that the first few weeks of March were slightly chaotic. I felt like I was in limbo (Inception, anyone?) watching my job and loved ones’ situations shift and change in a matter of days and weeks. Everything felt out of control. Focusing on a small detail like my hair kept me grounded in a way; it was my token, a reminder that it was all real.

They’re freeing

As much as changing up my hair made me feel like I had a say in at least something, it also made me feel like I could let go of something else, be it my stress or persistent negative thoughts. Physically letting go of something, in this case, my hair, caused some sort of excitement to arise. It was change that I brought upon myself, and I loved it.

They’re reassuring

What reassured me the most during my three-minute, hair-chopping experience was the knowledge that it was all temporary. If it’s disastrous, I reasoned, no one is going to see it until it grows out. That’s why spontaneous hair decisions can be so thrilling and freeing. In addition to being an instant but temporary change, they’re low stakes. 

When it comes to creativity and expression, hair is a medium we can change (and change again). Even if the final result may not seem great, letting go of expectations and accepting what came out of it is a way to stay grounded in a world where sometimes that’s all we really can do.

My bangs have been a wild ride for the past six months — but going through with them gave me the chance to try something new, something I was initially nervous to do. Yes, I have to put them up and pretend they don’t exist when they’ve gotten annoying, but, in addition to reminding myself it’s temporary, I’ve found something else you can always count on: bobby pins.

Ana Hoppert

Chapel Hill '23

Ana Hoppert is a sophomore at UNC Chapel Hill studying English and Psychology. She's an avid explorer of different storytelling mediums and how they affect individuals, communities, and societal structures.