This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you’ve been looking at your Heelmail, you might have seen a ton of emails from UNC campus housing and other apartment complexes around the area, trying to convince you to live on-campus and off-campus, respectively. Come next August, not only am I going to be a junior (!!!) but I’m also going to be living off-campus in an apartment for the very first time (!!!). When I moved into the dorms, this August, I wasn’t planning on living in an apartment next year, but I got tired of dorm life, and now I’m ready for something new. Here are five reasons I decided to live off-campus next year. Hopefully, this will provide a little bit of insight for you and your housing decision!

1. Privacy!

This year, I’ve learned that I really value privacy. I don’t relax all the way when I don’t know if my roommate and other people might be entering my room on a whim. The knowledge that I’ll have my own room, with my own DOOR is just really exciting to me. Don’t mind me next year, when I close my door, blast my Spotify playlists and dance my heart out.

Live footage of me dancing the stress away next August!

2. My own bathroom!

In the apartment I’m living in next year, I have my own bathroom. While I might be living with two other people, we’ll have individual bathrooms, and thank god. After living hall style for two years, I’m so happy that I’ll just have a bathroom to myself. I’ll be able to clean when I want, blast my music when taking a shower and not worry about having someone else’s face masks, toothpaste globs, etc. in the sink.

Let the bubble baths commence!

3. Not feeling trapped!

This year, I’ve felt almost trapped on campus. Most days of the week, I just go to my dorm and stay on campus. My car is in the RR lot, so while it’s technically UNC parking, it’s not on campus, and it can be a bit of a hassle to get to the car. With the apartment complex I’m living at, parking is provided for free. I love the idea that my car is right outside and that I am free to drive any time I want, without having to check the bus schedule! With a car so close to me next year, I’ll be able to really explore the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area more.

The GIF representation of my mood whenever I drive.

4. The amenities!

My apartment next year has a ton of amenities. Sure, it wasn’t the main reason I wanted to live off-campus, but the fact that there are tennis courts, volleyball courts, a pool, a small gym, a computer lab and a study lounge provided really convinced me. All of that might be on campus, but this is right outside my door. While I have my car to explore the area, I can also be completely relaxed and have a full day at the complex.

I plan on cueing my inner Sharpay when I go to the pool next year!

5. I get to cook my own food!

Even if you’re a first-year, you’ve probably realized by now that dining hall food can be monotonous and sometimes not the best in quality. This last summer, I was really getting into cooking for myself and finding out what I liked. I’m low-key excited to meal prep. That might sound a little lame, but I can’t wait to eat food that I genuinely enjoy every day.

I’m already salivating thinking about all the different meals I’m going to make!

Those are five reasons why I’m living off-campus next year! There are pros and cons to living off-campus and on-campus. If you’re struggling to make a decision, make a list and see what you value the most. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time next year!

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.