What I’ve Learned From My First Fully-Remote Semester as a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Going into this semester, I was nervous about starting school fully remote as a transfer student. Having taken the spring semester off, I was just starting to get comfortable with Zoom, and I had no idea how meeting people over a computer screen was going to go. Regardless, I was determined to give it my best and find ways to get to know my new community while figuring out what it’s like to be an online student, something all of my peers have had to experience in some form this semester.

With finals season coming to a close, I thought back to what I’d learned from this experience. Here’s what I found:

Academically…

On readings: Having switched my major from something STEM related to the humanities, I found myself with a lot more readings than I had ever encountered before in college. One of the most important things I learned concerning readings is to split them up and exchange notes with friends or classmates if they get to be too much. There are a lot of good reading skills out there, but sometimes school can pile up, and having someone to split the work with is a lifesaver. As an aside, making sure to write the page number of a quote you cite when taking notes on text is something completely overlooked my first few weeks of school. These pages become crucial when looking for quotes or ideas to cite from when writing an essay for the class.

On taking notes in class: Something else I found to be especially important is making sure to explicitly cite when a professor says something in class, and when a professor quotes an author on something in class. This helps clear confusion while reviewing notes at a later point in the semester. Also, having a medium where you can store all of your notes is crucial. I’ve found that OneNote has done this brilliantly for me in terms of letting me add on to my notes in multiple ways and see them from different devices, but there are other forms out there as well. 

On receiving help: This is common knowledge, but I can’t stress it enough: peer tutoring is incredibly helpful in large lecture classes, especially if everything is online. The student tutors are happy to help and know what they’re doing, and even though it can feel stressful going into a Zoom meeting, remembering that they’re there to help makes everything a lot better. *Also,* don’t forget that professors are also going through it and understand when things get rough! I’ve found that asking for extensions when they really were necessary is not as scary as it sounds — professors are usually really understanding and accommodating, especially in this weird COVID time.

Socially…

On trying different things: Make like Nike and just go for it. Attending Zoom meetings, applying to different positions and organizations that look interesting, and learning how they operate and function is a big part of being involved in college. I’ve found that just trying and showing up to different groups with no experience isn’t as intimidating if I’m genuinely excited about what’s going on. Becoming involved in different groups is a great opportunity to meet new people and make friends, and I’ve learned that even if it doesn’t turn out, getting to meet others and share in conversation is well worth it.

On asking for help: Kind of going off of what I said above, but being afraid of the new and unknown and asking questions is totally okay and encouraged! People who are involved in the organizations they are part of are passionate about what they do, and are happy to explain what’s going on or how things work — after all, new people are what keep organizations alive and going strong once members graduate. All it takes to know about something is asking.  

On consistency: As is the case in any relationship (or almost anything, really), consistency is your best friend. So are Zoom study sessions, game nights (skribbl.io is where it’s at) and random chats. Staying connected can seem paradoxically more difficult when in an online class setting than in person, but making an effort to reach out to others and stay involved is worth the Zoom fatigue.

In general…

On beating procrastination before it happens: There is no such thing as doing things “too early.” If you have an idea for an article in two weeks, write it down. If you’re distracted from something and are mentally drafting an email you’re planning to send in an hour or two, write it down. I’ve found that if I’m not concentrated on my immediate work, taking a five minute break, writing down or doing anything that’s on my mind, and coming back to work refreshed and ready to go is as much as a time saver doing the Pomodoro method (which I definitely recommend!).

On the importance of just askingThe act of asking has been such a common theme throughout my semester, I couldn’t help but say it again. People are so willing to help, especially if they’re passionate about something, you just have to ask!

On Spotify playlists: I might be the only one discovering this just now, but people on Spotify are absolutely brilliant. Ratatouille vibes playlist? On Spotify. Soft Hozier? Also there. If you’re in the mood for something, someone has probably made a playlist for it. Spotify-curated playlists are staples, but there are beyond amazing playlists out there just waiting to be discovered!

Like I was saying to my friend the other day, it’s wild that I’ve come to love school so much even if it’s all been remote. New experiences can be scary, but I’ve learned a lot — both in my studies and out — and I’m a better student and person because of it.

Ana Hoppert

Chapel Hill '23

Ana Hoppert is a sophomore at UNC Chapel Hill studying English and Psychology. She's an avid explorer of different storytelling mediums and how they affect individuals, communities, and societal structures.