This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Trigger warning: This article contains concerning themes, such as eating disorders. If this is particularly triggering to you, please practice self-care and read on at your own discretion or check out one of our other articles!

Thanksgiving is usually glorified for the amount of food that is made and then consumed in one sitting. While that is typically exciting, for those that are struggling with disordered eating and eating disorders or even recovering from them, this situation can be a complete nightmare. The over-consumption can lead to limiting the amount one eats later, or one could use it as a justification for regurgitating, a few hours after eating. The feeling of being so full that you’re bursting at the seams can trigger body dysmorphia, which causes you to want to manipulate your eating habits even more. All in all, Thanksgiving is one scary time when you have or had an eating disorder.

This reigns true for me, which is odd to those who know me, since I always encourage others to eat whatever they want and to treat themselves to whatever it is that they are craving. Heck, I’m even the one that leads the way to pure bliss by indulging my cravings. I’ve struggled in the past with eating, often limiting myself to eating only so much and then forcing myself to lean face-first over the porcelain bowl in shame when I eat more than I intended. This hasn’t been a problem for me in the past three or so years, though it’s currently rearing its ugly head. 

This article goes out to everyone that might be struggling, this Thanksgiving. I know that a plate full of food looks terrifying, but I promise that it is okay to eat. Start small and work your way up to multiple plates, if you’re feeling up to it. Know that you are not alone in this struggle and that there are people that are here to support you. 

Please reach out to the National Eating Disorder Association or a trusted family member or friend, if you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder/disordered eating.

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.